Installing Office 64 bit and 32 bit on the same machine

DougJ

I have recently signed up for Office 365, primarily so that I can check that Excel applications (including VBA and COM links to compiled programs) run correctly in 64 bit mode.

My first problem is that I can't find anywhere in Office 2013 to check if it is running 32 bit or 64 bit, and it didn't ask during installation.

Secondly, it seems from MS support documents (if I understand them correctly) that you can't have 32 bit Office 2010 and 64 bit Office 2013 installed on the same machine.

Is this correct, and if so, is there a way round it?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
1. When do installation if you want 32 you start in x86 folder, if you want 64 you start in amd64.

2. Office 2010 32 and office 2013 64 can be coexist, I had both running while 2013 in beta.

Fred

Upvote 0
The last time I tried to run x64 and x86 on the same machine was when installing 2010 and the installer balked.

So, I did not try to install 2013 x64 on a machine running older versions of Office.

I install VMs to do things that are otherwise incompatible. So, on my desktop I have Office 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 x86 running and in a VM I have x64 Office versions.

On my laptop, I have x64 O2010 and O2013 installed and in a VM I run x86 versions.

I use Virtualbox for my VMs.
I have recently signed up for Office 365, primarily so that I can check that Excel applications (including VBA and COM links to compiled programs) run correctly in 64 bit mode.

My first problem is that I can't find anywhere in Office 2013 to check if it is running 32 bit or 64 bit, and it didn't ask during installation.

Secondly, it seems from MS support documents (if I understand them correctly) that you can't have 32 bit Office 2010 and 64 bit Office 2013 installed on the same machine.

Is this correct, and if so, is there a way round it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
letonuslepus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back