Charting Y-Values by Hour Blocks

kelman17

Hi all! This is a cross-post. Original: Charting Y-Values by Hour Blocks

Context
I’m a media planning intern at a small marketing agency. Basically I choose TV programs to place ads on. The campaign is all about getting people to call the toll free number in the commercial. I want to analyze past TV placements in a region to track a metric over the different hours of the day.

Sample Data
input01.png
I don't have privileges to include attachments. But here is my data.. there's not much. I pull the series of dayparts from existing data. I manually enter the start and end time columns to make it ready for charting on the x-axis.
The Imp/Calls is the metric that I want to track on the y-axis.

Desired Result
gantt chart.png
X-axis should be hour blocks.
The different tasks on the y-axis should be values on a scale. We are dealing with numbers in the 10 thousands.

Notes
The leading solution seems to be making a Gantt-style chart using a double-stacked Bar Chart. I would get that segmented look by formatting the bars to be invisible before the Start Time. I just can’t find a way to place my y-axis values on a scale.
From original: I'm cross-posting this to MrExcel. I've read the FAQ, and I respect the value of everyone's time. On the other hand, I want to get more reach for my question. I will be sure to check both posts periodically and update status!

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I imagine someone will help you but here's something for you to think about.

You are sharing links to images hosted on a forum named excelforum, which requires registration and logging in before showing the image. So, a volunteer on mrexcel would have to create an account on that forum, log in, pull up your images, interpret them to understand what you want, and then provide you with a solution.

Contrast that with someone who explains what they want with a description of their issue. Who is more likely to get the help they seek?

Context
I’m a media planning intern at a small marketing agency. Basically I choose TV programs to place ads on. The campaign is all about getting people to call the toll free number in the commercial. I want to analyze past TV placements in a region to track a metric over the different hours of the day.

Sample Data
input01.png
I don't have privileges to include attachments. But here is my data.. there's not much. I pull the series of dayparts from existing data. I manually enter the start and end time columns to make it ready for charting on the x-axis.

Desired Result
gantt chart.png
The different tasks on the y-axis should be values on a scale. We are dealing with numbers in the 10 thousands.

Notes
The leading solution seems to be making a Gantt-style chart using a double-stacked Bar Chart. I would get that segmented look by formatting the bars to be invisible before the Start Time. I just can’t find a way to place my y-axis values on a scale.
From original: I'm cross-posting this to MrExcel. I've read the FAQ, and I respect the value of everyone's time. On the other hand, I want to get more reach for my question. I will be sure to check both posts periodically and update status!

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Hmm... I can't edit my original post. Here is the same thing with proper links to my images:

Context

Sample Data
Daypart ChronologicalStartEndImp/Calls
5a-6a5620,730
6a-7a6716,510
6a-8a6823,947
8a-9a8928,487
8a-10a81028,269
9a-10a91029,377
9a-11a91115,217
10a-12n101221,111
10a-12p101227,949
11a-1p111317,079
12p-1p121318,675

<colgroup><col width="64" span="3" style="width:48pt"> <col width="64" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Desired Result
colorgantt.png

I'm trying to create a chart in Excel that is similar to this Gantt chart.

Notes

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
The Gantt chart has nothing to do with your data set. ;)

What would be the desired result for your sample data?

Hmm... I can't edit my original post. Here is the same thing with proper links to my images:

Context

Sample Data
Daypart ChronologicalStartEndImp/Calls
5a-6a5620,730
6a-7a6716,510
6a-8a6823,947
8a-9a8928,487
8a-10a81028,269
9a-10a91029,377
9a-11a91115,217
10a-12n101221,111
10a-12p101227,949
11a-1p111317,079
12p-1p121318,675

<colgroup><col width="64" span="3" style="width:48pt"> <col width="64" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Desired Result
colorgantt.png

I'm trying to create a chart in Excel that is similar to this Gantt chart.

Notes

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Yes I should clarify! The Gantt Chart in my desired result is just a random picture from the internet. It is there to give a visual idea of what I am looking for. Sorry, I am trying to be lazy and not create picture showing exactly what I am looking for :LOL: But I am essentially trying to create a similar Gantt Chart in Excel using my sample data.

For the x-axis of the chart, I am trying to use the "Start" and "End" times from my sample data. So each block on the Gantt Chart would show a start-end of a different row in my sample data.

For the y-axis, instead of having tasks like "Market Research" or "Define Specifications" (as in the picture of the Gantt Chart) I want to show the "Imp/Call" from my sample data. My biggest challenge has been getting the "Imp/Call" data to be shown at scale i.e. each data-point for "Imp/Call" should be at the right place on a scale of 1 to 30,000.

I really appreciate any help, thanks!

Upvote 0
Will something like this do? The first isn't sorted, the second is sorted by Imp/Call but the y-axis is just labels, not a scale.
ps. I see Andy pope has responded with a file in your cross post but it's showing 0 views.
<embed src="https://www.box.com/embed/79z59r4j3uk5fdf.swf" wmode="opaque" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="800" width="466">

Last edited:
Upvote 0
p45cal, thanks for the reply. Your second chart is along the lines of what I'm looking for. But I am trying to find a way to put Imp/Call to scale rather than as labels.

Did you use a stacked bar chart to make those? I am not sure the stacked bar chart is the best tool to do what I am aiming for. Unfortunately it is the only method that I know of. If anyone knows another tool to create the same result BUT to scale, I would greatly appreciate it!! :eek:

Upvote 0
This?:
<embed src="https://www.box.com/embed/vzout8xglruiupu.swf" width="466" height="500" wmode="opaque" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always">
see also file here. It's a cheat! It is a stacked bar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeshw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back