Hyperlink Macro that converts a list of sheet names to hyperlinks to the sheets

holt3130

Hey,

I am having trouble getting a macro to do what I want.

In column A i have a list of the sheet names in the workbook

I need a macro that will take the text from the cell and convert it to a hyperlink to its corresponding sheet

for example in cell A1 there is the text "SP5M"
there is also a sheet named "SP5M"
I want a macro to take the text from the cell that I have selected, tack on the "!A1" so it becomes an address for the sheet and create a hyperlink that displays just the original name...

if that makes sense?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I don't have a VBA solution - but if you are interested then this can be done with a formular.
For example:
=HYPERLINK("#'"&A1&"'!A1",A1)

Upvote 0
I don't have a VBA solution - but if you are interested then this can be done with a formular.
For example:
=HYPERLINK("#'"&A1&"'!A1",A1)

Yes that works just fine but not entirely for what I need to do.

I don't want to have to add another column so the formula can reference the names, I simple want to turn the names into hyperlinks...

I can do this easily just by clicking add hyperlink, but the list is like 500+ names long and it would take forever to to this for each individual name.

Upvote 0
Give this a try:
Rich (BB code):
Sub Test()
Dim i As Long
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        For i = 1 To .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        .Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=.Range("A" & i), Address:="", _
        SubAddress:="'" & .Range("A" & i).Value & "'!A1", TextToDisplay:=.Range("A" & i).Value
        Next i
    End With
End Sub

Change the sheet name to the sheet that contains your list.

Try on a copy of your workbook.

Upvote 0
Give this a try:
Rich (BB code):
Sub Test()
Dim i As Long
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        SubAddress:="'" & .Range("A" & i).Value & "'!A1", TextToDisplay:=.Range("A" & i).Value
        Next i
    End With
End Sub

I think it is telling me that the subaddress is an invalid procedure call or argument.
I don't know why that would work for the anchor location but not the link location...

Upvote 0
I think it is telling me that the subaddress is an invalid procedure call or argument.
I don't know why that would work for the anchor location but not the link location...

Hmm! What version on Excel are you using?

Can you record a macro of you manually adding a single hyperlink and post the code here?

Upvote 0
Actually scratch that, It worked!

It got an argument error when it got to a name that wasn't the exact name of a sheet.

thanks FormR

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Here's some code by Excel MVP Zack Barresse for building a Table of Contents:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CreateTOC()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Code by Zack Baresse</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        MsgBox "You must have a workbook open first!", vbInformation, "No Open Book"<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Application<br>        .ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>        .DisplayAlerts = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> WS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet, _<br>            ct <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Chart, _<br>            shtName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, _<br>            nrow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, _<br>            tmpCount <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, _<br>            i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, _<br>            numCharts <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>        <br>        nrow = 3<br>        i = 1<br>        numCharts = ActiveWorkbook.Charts.Count<br>        <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> hasSheet<br>        Sheets("Table of Contents").Activate<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> MsgBox("You already have a Table of Contents page.  Would you like to overwrite it?", _<br>        vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Replace TOC page?") = vbYes <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> createNew<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br>hasSheet:<br>    Sheets.Add before:=Sheets(1)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> hasNew<br><br>createNew:<br>    Sheets("Table of Contents").Delete<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> hasSheet<br><br>hasNew:<br>    tmpCount = ActiveWorkbook.Charts.Count<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> tmpCount > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> tmpCount = 1<br>        ActiveSheet.Name = "Table of Contents"<br>        <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Sheets("Table of Contents")<br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'.Cells.Interior.Color<SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN>dex = 4</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .Range("B2")<br>                    .Value = "Table of Contents"<br>                    .Font.Bold = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                    .Font.Name = "Calibri"<br>                    .Font.Size = "24"<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>        <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> WS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets<br>            nrow = nrow + 1<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> WS<br>                shtName = WS.Name<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Sheets("Table of Contents")<br>                    .Range("B" & nrow).Value = nrow - 3<br>                    .Range("C" & nrow).Hyperlinks.Add _<br>                        Anchor:=Sheets("Table of Contents").Range("C" & nrow), Address:="#'" & _<br>                        shtName & "'!A1", TextToDisplay:=shtName<br>                    .Range("C" & nrow).HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> WS<br>        <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> numCharts <> 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> ct In ActiveWorkbook.Charts<br>                nrow = nrow + 1<br>                shtName = ct.Name<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Sheets("Table of Contents")<br>                    .Range("B" & nrow).Value = nrow - 3<br>                    .Range("C" & nrow).Value = shtName<br>                    .Range("C" & nrow).HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> ct<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Sheets("Table of Contents")<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .Range("B2:G2")<br>                .MergeCells = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                .HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>        <br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .Range("C:C")<br>                .EntireColumn.AutoFit<br>                .Activate<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            .Range("B4").Select<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>        .DisplayAlerts = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        .ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>    MsgBox "Done!" & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Please note: " & _<br>        "Charts are listed after regular " & vbCrLf & _<br>        "worksheets and will not have hyperlinks.", vbInformation, "Complete!"<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

HTH,

Upvote 0
I just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU! This worked brilliantly for me.

Give this a try:
Rich (BB code):
Sub Test()
Dim i As Long
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        Next i
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Aliwa, glad that an old thread has been of use to you - welcome to MrExcel :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anniewonder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back