Trying to utilize more RAM than 32-bit Excel will allow

Trdert

Context: I am working with some relatively large Excel files in a 32-bit version of Excel 2010. These files run extremely slowly, lock up the operating system regularly. From what I've been able to gather on this site: (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...fice.14).aspx) it sounds as though 32-bit versions of Excel 2010 are limited to utilizing 2GB of RAM whereas 64-bit versions of Excel do not have this limitation and can utilize extra RAM if it is available.

My computer has 8GB of RAM so my thinking is that changing to a 64-bit version of Excel/Office would allow Excel to utilize the additional RAM and speed up tasks, calculation, file open, close, saving -that sort of thing.

Question: Will opening the same file in a 64-bit version of Excel once it is installed allow Excel to utilize the extra RAM or will the 2GB utilization limit still exist because the file was originally BUILT in the 32-bit version?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I would doubt very much that it matters which bit version the file was originally built in. Note: I do not have any corroborative evidence to support that claim.

Upvote 0
It has been stated that the file structure of a file saved in Excel 2003 vs Excel 2010 is the same.
This means it does not matter if the file was created using a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Excel.

To get the memory size advantage you need a 64 bit installation of the operating system.
You also need the 64 bit version of Excel or Microsoft Office installed.
The 32 bit version of Excel can also be installed on a 64 bit operating system.

64 bit may have first become available with Office 2007.
Did not find info on Office 2003 64 bit with a quick search,
and it probably does not exist.

With 64 bit there can be some compatibility issues with COM Add-ins and ActiveX controls,
or VBA code that uses declare statements,
as discussed in the links below:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
msdn.microsoft.com
Compatibility Between the 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Office 2010

cpearson.com
Bitness And Office

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I use computers that are either 32 bit or 64 bit operating system and I have not run into these compatibility issues.
I had asked for and thought that I had the 64 bit Office version on a computer that does have the 64 bit operating system,
but in looking into answering your question,
found out the the office version is 32 bit on the 64 bit computer.
Oops. Probably does not matter.

QUOTE:
"32-bit versions of Excel 2010 are limited to utilizing 2GB of RAM"
This is correct.

I have found that a large Excel file starts to run into memory limitations between half to 1 GB,
although the computer has 4 GB RAM,
and the 32 bit Office version should allow 2 GB.
This is the same on the 32 bit or 64 bit operating system computer (both with 32 bit Office 2010).
Looks like something besides just the Excel file takes up memory.

According to:
Memory Limits for Windows Releases
Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

These are the RAM memory limits for the 64 bit operating system computer:
128 GB Windows XP
192 GB Windows 7
512 GB Windows 8

So is the RAM limit for Windows 7 Excel Office 2010 (both 64 bit) the same as the Windows 7 RAM limit (unlike for 32 bit where the RAM limit differs)?

According to:

msdn.microsoft.com
Excel 2010 Performance: Performance and Limit Improvements

"As more RAM is added to the computer, Excel uses that additional memory, allows larger and larger workbooks, and scales with the amount of RAM available."

So the RAM limit for Excel 2010 64 bit Window 7 should be 192 GB.

If your speed problem is due to the file size being too large for the 32 bit RAM to handle it,
meaning consisting of numbers instead of formulas that are taking a long time to calculate,
then the 64 bit should solve the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks jack,

so if the problem is actually formulas taking too long (i.e., too many used cells in sumif statements) would that be more of a processor issue?

thank you.

Upvote 0
RAM is 'working' memory that a computer uses to hold things in memory that it is working on.
There is also such a thing as virtual memory substituted for RAM from the hard disk that can be used to hold things not being actively used.

The RAM limits the file size that you can use.
If you get close to or exceed the limit the computer will no longer perform the operation,
such as saving the file.
A large file also takes longer to open or save, even if it only has data or numbers.

If an Excel file is slowing down due to calculation time,
then the computer processor speed can be considered a limiting factor.
A computer with double the megahertz would I guess calculate twice as fast.

Most will try to make the file more efficient before upgrading or getting a new computer with more megahertz.
There are many posts on this board about this issue,
with either a list of reference sites,
or advice or improvements about a particular situation.

Upvote 0
if your workbook is choking on formulae then consider replacing some with VBA. vba can target recalculation so that the whole sheet does not need to recalc every time you do something. you may need to consider other ways if implementing your design to work more efficiently and within the bounds of conventional hardware.

you are correct to say that CPU has considerable effect on recalc speed, and you may very well find that you complete your OS and Excel upgrade for little benefit (apart from benefiting microsoft, of course). CPU speed ratings ("megahertz") BTW do not always represent the true processing speed so whilst a 3.8GHz Intel i3, sounds better than a 3.2GHz Intel i5, the 3.2 would beat the pants off the 3.8, due to CPU arcitecture

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Context: I am working with some relatively large Excel files in a 32-bit version of Excel 2010. These files run extremely slowly, lock up the operating system regularly. From what I've been able to gather on this site: (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...fice.14).aspx) it sounds as though 32-bit versions of Excel 2010 are limited to utilizing 2GB of RAM whereas 64-bit versions of Excel do not have this limitation and can utilize extra RAM if it is available.

My computer has 8GB of RAM so my thinking is that changing to a 64-bit version of Excel/Office would allow Excel to utilize the additional RAM and speed up tasks, calculation, file open, close, saving -that sort of thing.

Question: Will opening the same file in a 64-bit version of Excel once it is installed allow Excel to utilize the extra RAM or will the 2GB utilization limit still exist because the file was originally BUILT in the 32-bit version?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

The 2 GB RAM use limitation is 'per instance'. If you open a new instance of Excel, It resets. Limit yourself to 1 sheet opened In each instance of Excel.

Also, eliminate dead sheet space. If you eliminate empty space, It will speed up your sheet processes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back