Pivot grand total for rows not showing

Barto

Board Regular
Hi,

I cannot get the row totals to show on my pivot chart.

Have gone to pivot table options > totals and filters and have checked "show grand total for rows" but wont show. I can get the column totals to to hide ans show by checking anf unchecking the "show grand total for columns" but not matter howm many times i try checking and unchecking and refreshing etc the row total will not show.

Anyone had this problem before and know how to fix?

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Does your Pivot Table have a field in the layout column area? You would only get row totals if there is at least one field in the column area.

Upvote 0
Hmmm no I dont cause each column is summing a different column of data so I dont have a field to place in the column area.

Upvote 0
Hmmm no I dont cause each column is summing a different column of data so I dont have a field to place in the column area.

Not sure I follow what that means.

You could put a dummy header in an empty column in your data table (no data below needed) and then put that field in your pivot table column area.

Upvote 0
Hi Barto,

Did you ever figure this one out? Just ran across the same thing and it finally dawned on me that the field specified in the row label was a text field and NOT a number field. Therefore, when Excel looks for rows to sum there are none to sum since the only rows specified were text fields. Just added a total field in the source table to get around this.

Upvote 0
If your values are all '1' and '0' (or blanks) and you are counting them, or if you have numeric values and you are summing them...then you can add a "Calculated Field" from the "Fields, Items, & Sets" menu. If you are counting the frequency of a text value, a calculated field will not work. Insert a "+" between each field that you insert into the calculated field, so the values are added together.
The alternative to a calculated field is to stick a SUM formula out to the right of the data. To prevent excess zeroes from floating around when someone filters the data, you could use a formula like this:
=IF(SUM(B4:D4)>0,SUM(B4:D4),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Barto,

Did you ever figure this one out? Just ran across the same thing and it finally dawned on me that the field specified in the row label was a text field and NOT a number field. Therefore, when Excel looks for rows to sum there are none to sum since the only rows specified were text fields. Just added a total field in the source table to get around this.

This is my first post here.

I actually registered just to understand how to get this done. I am having this same issue now.

I need to get Grand Totals for the Rows, but just cant get it to show if I add two column labels.

As was mentioned here, I created a dummy row in the data table and I dragged that row heading to the column label and then I can see Grand Total for Rows. However, this works only with one column. If I add a second column then the grand totals for rows just disappears.

I hope I have not confused.

Upvote 0
Hello aquaremo,

In most cases the column and row labels will be a date or text field. Then any numerical data will be placed in the values box. Just to make sure, have you checked the settings in the options area fro grand totals?

Tom C

Upvote 0
Hi Tom, thanks for your reply. Yes, I have checked both the grand total for rows and columns in the settings, but it still does not show. I have a big feeling this feature is not there in Excel.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I am trying to follow a Youtube video which describes how I can convert Column Data Fields to Row Data Fields https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzpLg1gI98.

The described solution depends on me being able to click on the cell where the Grand Totals for the rows and columns intersect (the cell on the bottom right of the table). The example in the video is shown using the Excel 2003 wizard. Using Excel 2013 I haven't been able to get my pivot table to display the Grand Totals for Rows. In the Ribbon under Design - Grand Totals I can toggle the grand total for the columns on and off, but the toggle for Rows does nothing. I've tried using a very basic test table containing 5 columns labeled Location, Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4. In the Location column I entered names of countries. In the other columns I entered simple numbers which are formatted as numbers. I tried formatting them as currency with the same effect. Each of the Q1-Q4 columns has a Grand Total, but the rows do not. Grand totals for rows is enabled in the Pivot table options.

I am getting frantic because I really need to get the result shown in the video :( If anyone knows a solution I would be very grateful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
el_gazar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back