Transportation problem, linear programming and Solver

GregDP

I am working on a transportation model in which I have to choose the best location for a new factory that minimizes transportation costs with 3 warehouses. I currently have 2 factories, and I want to choose the location for a third factory between 3 alternatives.

I have been able to solve this problem by analyzing each of the 3 possible locations separately (therefore, creating linear programming models with the 2 old factories + a new one), and then comparing the minimum costs that I would incur in each of these three cases.

I've been trying to integrate these three steps into one, so that I would have to run Solver only one time and it would give me the best possible location among the 3 choices, but so far I've been unsuccessful. Would it be possible to achieve this in one step?

And more specifically, could I achieve it while still keeping it as a linear programming problem?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adiadidas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back