Macro to remove blank rows AND rows that behind with two spaces

jwright8

Hello everyone,

Had an old account but had to recreate.

I've been trying to figure out a macro to remove blank rows, as well as rows that begin with two spaces in the first column (A). Every time I try something it tells me that the delete method is not supported... any pointing in the right direction (especially in regards to the second criteria I have) would be a huge help!

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Try something like this. First test it on a copy of your data.

Code:
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] i [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], LastRow [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color]

LastRow = Cells.Find("*", , , , 1, 2).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = [color=darkblue]False[/color]
    [color=darkblue]For[/color] i = LastRow [color=darkblue]To[/color] 1 [color=darkblue]Step[/color] -1
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] Application.CountA(Rows(i)) = 0 [color=darkblue]Or[/color] Range("A" & i).Value [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "  *" [color=darkblue]Then[/color] Rows(i).Delete
    [color=darkblue]Next[/color] i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = [color=darkblue]True[/color]

Upvote 0
Try something like this. First test it on a copy of your data.

Code:
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR], LastRow [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]For[/COLOR] i = LastRow [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] 1 [COLOR=darkblue]Step[/COLOR] -1
        [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Application.CountA(Rows(i)) = 0 [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Range("A" & i).Value [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "  *" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR] Rows(i).Delete
    [COLOR=darkblue]Next[/COLOR] i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=darkblue]True[/COLOR]

Thanks for the super quick reply! If I had a button on Sheet1 for instance, could I do the following to run the actual operation on Sheet2?

Code:
Sub Rectangle1_Click
[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR], LastRow [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]For[/COLOR] i = LastRow [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] 1 [COLOR=darkblue]Step[/COLOR] -1
        [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Worksheets(Sheet2).CountA(Rows(i)) = 0 [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Worksheets(Sheet2).Range("A" & i).Value [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "  *" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR] Worksheets(Sheet2).Rows(i).Delete
    [COLOR=darkblue]Next[/COLOR] i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=darkblue]True
End Sub
[/COLOR]

Forgive me if that seems way off the mark, similar methods were used in the help files for referencing sheet names in VBA.

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're welcome. Try this...

Code:
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] i [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], LastRow [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color]

[B][color=darkblue]With[/color] Sheets("Sheet2")[/B]

LastRow = [COLOR=#ff0000][B].[/B][/COLOR]Cells.Find("*", , , , 1, 2).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = [color=darkblue]False[/color]
        [color=darkblue]For[/color] i = LastRow [color=darkblue]To[/color] 1 [color=darkblue]Step[/color] -1
            [color=darkblue]If[/color] Application.CountA([COLOR=#ff0000][B].[/B][/COLOR]Rows(i)) = 0 [color=darkblue]Or[/color] [COLOR=#ff0000][B].[/B][/COLOR]Range("A" & i).Value [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "  *" [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [COLOR=#ff0000][B].[/B][/COLOR]Rows(i).Delete
        [color=darkblue]Next[/color] i
        Application.ScreenUpdating = [color=darkblue]True[/color]

[B] [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]With[/color]
[/B]

Upvote 0
Awesome! It worked perfectly.

Just for anyone else who sees this, I made a cell on Sheet1 (I1) be designated as something I could put the sheet name in (just in case I wanted to run it on another sheet in the same workbook and didn't want to edit the macro). I know it's not that different, but I figured I'd share in case it was useful to anyone else.

Code:
Sub Rectangle1_Click()

Dim i As Long, LastRow As Long
    Dim shtName As String

shtName = Range("I1")

With Sheets(shtName)

LastRow = .Cells.Find("*", , , , 1, 2).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        For i = LastRow To 1 Step -1
            If Application.CountA(.Rows(i)) = 0 Or .Range("A" & i).Value Like "  *" Then .Rows(i).Delete
        Next i
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End With

End Sub

Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0
Hello!

I'm looking for a way to delete or hide any row that has a value of 0 in column C. How would I modify the code above to accomplish this? Or would entirely different code be appropriate?

The number of rows is variable each time.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back