Index/Match Array Formula to Retrieve Data from Closed Source File

Howardjo

Morning,

I've been using the below formula to extract data from a table stored in a source file called Central Log.xlsm.

=INDEX('Central Log.xlsm'!Table27[[#All],[Region]],MATCH($D$5,'Central Log.xlsm'!Table27[[#All],[Name]],0))

What I've been trying to do is convert this to an array formula which will complete the lookup when the source file is closed. (Currently this only populates when I have 'Central Log.xlsm' open).

I know this is possible to achieve with a simple VLOOKUP, but wondered if it was possible using INDEX/MATCH?

Regards

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I've just found this: here

I think this will probably solve my issue (never knew this setting existed!), however, if you know of a better way of doing this it'll be greatly appriciated.

Upvote 0
Thats great thanks.

For the most part I can use a VLOOKUP; but is it possible if using Index/match because the lookup is right to left?

Upvote 0
Sorry; I meant in reference to my original post where I am currently using Index/Match but this is not automatically updated from a closed source file (in the same way a VLOOKUP would)

Upvote 0
=VLOOKUP($D$5,'Central Log.xlsm'!Table27[#All],9,FALSE)

=INDEX('Central Log.xlsm'!Table27[Field-9],MATCH(D5,'Central Log.xlsm'!Table27[Field-1],0))

Substitute the header of the 9th column of Table27 for Field-9 and the header of the 1st column of Table27 for Field-1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayo4dgacorbanget

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back