Selecting from a Changing Column of Numbers

Polite Master

Hello Mr. Excel Forums,

I am creating a spreadsheet to help manage Block ID conflicts when adding mods to a Minecraft Server.

Column A contains a list of available numbers (e.g. 1-20 and 31-50). Column B contains a list of numbers a new mod tries to use up by default (i.e. 1-25). A number in Column B that is not in Column A must be changed to the nearest number that is in Column A. In this example, numbers 21-25 in B are not available in A and must be changed to 31-35, respectively. Column C should be the result of changing Column B (i.e. 1-20 and 31-35).

The main problem is that as a given cell in Column B changes, that number needs to become unavailable in Column A for the next change. For example, when 21 in B returns 31, 31 can no longer be used for the next number in B (22). I have been able to use VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH functions to lookup the numbers to be changed. However, I am at a loss on how to solve the aforementioned problem. Any suggestions or thoughts you may have are greatly appreciated :D

Thank you for reading and in advance for your ideas.

- Polite Master

Also posted at Selecting from a Changing Column of Numbers with attached spreadsheet.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hi, I think I understand what you want to do, this sounds like a good little challenge for formulas, which I'm sure is do-able.

But before I get too deeply into it, could you give us a fully worked example please, showing what you want to do for each number ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Gerald Higgins,

Thanks for replying!

I believe I just found a solution, although I have yet to test it with my real data. That solution can be read at my repost here: Selecting from a Changing Column of Numbers

The example spreadsheet you requested is posted at the above link. I was unsure how to attach my example on Mr. Excel Forums. I'd appreciate if you could point out how to attach a spreadsheet (or point to help) for the future :D.

With gratitude,

Polite Master

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Polite Master
This forum doesn't allow attached spreadsheets.
You can either use the HTML Maker in my tag to post SMALL samples of your data
OR
use a hosting site like DropBox or MediaFire to upload you workbook and then post a link to that site back here !!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeCybear

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back