Index matching on + rows, condition help required

Boniouk

Board Regular
Hi, I have a formula which does a lookup against an Id, and matches it in another sheet and returns a column, a bit like a vlookup apart from this gives me the option to do a +1 at the end of the formula to get multiple rows. This means i can retreive data for a required person, and pull multiple rows. However, i dont know how to put a condition that if the ID no longer matches, to stop pulling the data.

So far I have this.

=INDEX(Data!D:D,MATCH(Cover!$C$9,Data!$C:$C,0))

Data!D is the column of data i want, and in column C in "cover" i have a list of IDs, and it looks up that ID in column C of Data, and then gives me column D. between the two end )s, i have added a +1 to give me this...

=INDEX(Data!D:D,MATCH(Cover!$C$9,Data!$C:$C,0)+1)

I put this in the cell below the original formula and it gives me multiple data, which is great if that "ID" has 2 jobs i need. Is there some kind of sum product or match formula I can do against the original formula to see if the ID still matches, as with my version, it is only matching the first instance then going down one row, i would prefer it to go down one row and then see if the IDs still match, if they do great pull the data, but if they dont leave it blank.

then i can pull this formula down +2, +3 etc and have it for 100 rows, and if an ID has 100 jobs it will work, and if it has 1, it will work.

As at the moment it is pulling rows of data for people listed after this ID im looking for.

any clues? thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
do you want to return multiple match? example if ID YTY567 is repeated three times (3), you would like to see all three matches?
Note try avoid using whole column ranges, it will be faster to calculate if you use specific ranges...

Excel 2010
ABCD
1valuematchindex
24they1this
33those2that
44them3those
51this3these
61themselves4they
74them
84their
92theirs
101themselves
boniouk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I put this on the end of my index match, which seemed to look for additional matches, not sure how it works, but it does. Thanks again :)

ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$1000)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROW(1:1))))

Upvote 0
Based on data provided in post#2, formula in B2 is =IF(N(A2),INDEX(D$2:D$10,SMALL(IF(C$2:C$10=A2,ROW(C$2:C$10)-ROW(B$2)+1),COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2))),"") Ctrl + Shift + Enter not just enter on a PC or Command + Return on a MAC.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khairianr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back