Opening a file from another system in excel. Delimiting problem.

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
A co-worker has a report that she gets from a system called FPARS (Freight Payment System). She wants to be able to work with it in Excel, so we saved it in its original format, which shows up as "test_XLS" (but it's not in Excel). When I went to open it in Excel, the file type says "File". Of course, when I opened it, the Text Import Wizard came up & I tried just Finishing with Fixed Width selected, but not putting in any column breaks, I figured I'd do a Text-to-Columns on column A with a comma as delimiter as the start of the macro.

Well, the problem is that SOME of the lines carried over into columns B-I when it opened, so it's messing up Text-to-Columns.
Before doing the Text-to-Columns, in the Wizard window, the problem lines have the same format as the other lines, except there's a lot more text in the last part.

I can't figure out why they're carrying into further columns on opening; there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they're breaking themselves up, either!

Anyway, next I tried opening the original, selecting "Delimited", but not selecting any delimiter. That opened it correctly. But, can I get the macro to open the file with no delimiters, since it's from a different system?

Thanks!

Jenny

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back