Having troubl with IF and Else IF

mgquedu

Hi All, I have the below code but I keep getting the following error message: "Complie Error, Must be first statement on the line"
I'm new to vba, can someone explain what I am doing wrong! Thank you.

Code:
Sub Chart_Background()

If Cells(4, 4).Value > 0.8 Then
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
        With ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Fill
            .Visible = msoTrue
            .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 0, 0)
            .ForeColor.TintAndShade = 0
            .ForeColor.Brightness = 0
            .Transparency = 0
            .Solid

Else If Cells(4, 4) > 0.5 Then
            .Visible = msoTrue
            .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 0)
            .Transparency = 0
            .Solid
       Else
            .Visible = msoTrue
            .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 255, 0)
            .Transparency = 0
            .Solid
            End With
    End If
End Sub
[CODE]

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Thanks! I figured it out, I actually did three seperate If's and it works. Do you know how to make the code update automatically refresh when the value it's looking at changes?

Upvote 0
How does it change? manual entry by hand? Or is it a formula?

And is it just that one cell, or do you want to expand it to look at many cells in a particular range?

Upvote 0
Wot about this

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Chart_Background()<br><br>     <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Cells(4, 4).Value > 0.8 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>       ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Fill<br>        .Visible = msoTrue<br>        .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 0, 0)<br>        .ForeColor.TintAndShade = 0<br>        .ForeColor.Brightness = 0<br>        .Transparency = 0<br>        .Solid<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>     <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ElseIf</SPAN> Cells(4, 4) > 0.5 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Fill<br>        .Visible = msoTrue<br>        .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 0)<br>        .ForeColor.TintAndShade = 0<br>        .ForeColor.Brightness = 0<br>        .Transparency = 0<br>        .Solid<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>     <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Fill<br>        .Visible = msoTrue<br>        .ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 255, 0)<br>        .ForeColor.TintAndShade = 0<br>        .ForeColor.Brightness = 0<br>        .Transparency = 0<br>        .Solid<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>     <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
That works! I did 3 seperate if's which ended up working as well. Thank you for below! Would you know how to make this code refresh automatically when the cell it's looking at changes?

Upvote 0
Hi . I am a beginner myself. You need to get into Worksheet_change stuff. A code like the following needs to be placed in the code in a sheet, (not in a Module):

<font face=Calibri><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> Err <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Just in case it does not work, this ends the VBA</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> CellsYouChange <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' The cell or cells you are interested in changing</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> CellsYouChange = Range("D4") <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' I think you arte interseted in cell(4,4) or "D4"</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(CellsYouChange, Target) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Do nothing if what you typed in did not "Intersect" the cell your interested in. Or in normal English: Do Nothing if you did not type anything in the cell you are interested in!!</SPAN><br>        Else: MsgBox ("Hey - you typed something in") <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Insted of MsgBox, you could type in your entire code here!</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>Err:     MsgBox ("F##k! - It did not work, Sorry")  <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' An error message from me, if it did not work!</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

. I knocked up a complete .xlsm file for you. You get it by cliking here
FileSnack | Easy file sharing
. It is written in Excel 2007 (German Version).
. If you type in something in cell (4, 4) , (“D4”) , then see what happens, then look at the code… I think then you will get the point.

Alan Elston
Baveria
Germany

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back