Auto send birthday email using vba

shopaholic

Hi,
I followed the solution provided by Jim May in this thread http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...atic-birthday-wishes-using-excel-outlook.html and it worked perfectly.

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Sub DoBirthdayRoutine()[/COLOR]
Dim olApp As Outlook.ApplicationDim MItem As Outlook.MailItemDim cell As RangeDim Subj As StringDim EmailAddr As StringDim Msg As StringSet olApp = New Outlook.ApplicationApplication.ScreenUpdating = FalseSheets("Sheet1").ActivateLR = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).RowFor Each cell In Range("B2:B" & LR)    If Month(cell) = Month(Date) And Day(cell) = Day(Date) Then    Pos = WorksheetFunction.Find(" ", cell.Offset(, -1))    FName = Left(cell.Offset(, -1), Pos - 1)    Subj = "Happy B'day"    EmailAddr = cell.Offset(, 1).Value    Msg = "Dear " & FName & "," & vbNewLine    Msg = Msg & vbNewLine & " Happy Birthday to you and many more happy returns.  Have a wonderful day." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf    Set MItem = olApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)With MItem    .To = EmailAddr    .Subject = Subj    .Body = Msg    .SendEnd WithEnd IfNextApplication.ScreenUpdating = True [COLOR=#333333]End Sub
[/COLOR]

However, I have a few more requirements -
I wanted to embed an image below the birthday wishes text.
Solution- I added CC BCC code and then used htmlBody to change font color, size, etc. it is working good.
Now -
1) I want to automate this email sending - I read about CDO but don't know how to go about it.
2) How can I make this vba independent of system state? (I know already this is next to impossible, can it run even if system is not ON?)
3) I want to make it send birthday wishes to people who have their birthday on weekends and holidays also.

I'm focusing on understanding CDO meanwhile expect some help.
Thanks.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
To respond to your questions

1)You can automate the email to send out on a specific date using a Worksheet_Change event, but
2)It can only run while the workbook is open, but
3)There are methods to create an email ahead of time and be scheduled to be sent on a specific date, if you are using an enterprise version of Outlook. (POP3 and IMAP require Outlook to remain open to delay or schedule emails)

All of this would take a bit of preparation to sort things out.

EDIT--Scratch that. I was unaware of being able to send emails through Excel without Outlook, using CDO. With that said, my answer to 1 still stands, and from what I read, 2 as well, but 3 would depend on what email client that you are using. Some may allow the delay in sending emails, while others do not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@scott_n_phnx -

Thanks for the reply.
1) Emails are being sent by matching DOB value with today's date. This happens when I run the macro manually! I can put the macro in open worksheet event and write a batch file to open the excel file once everyday at a specific time by creating a scheduled job! But problem is - I will have to leave my system ON all the time which is not feasible!

I'm using enterprise version of outlook. :P

Upvote 0
Thanks, it would be of help I will just have to find a way to let the macro set this option. :P But it all again comes down to system remaining in on state so that mails can be sent. :(

Upvote 0
If you already have a code built, you can add this into it.

<b>.DeferredDeliveryTime = Date</b>

Like this

Code:
Sub SendMail()
Dim OutApp As Object
Dim Outmail As Object
Dim strBody As String
Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
OutApp.session.logon
Set Outmail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)
strBody = "Test"
On Error Resume Next
With Outmail
    .To = "test@test.com" 'change "test@test.com" into "yourownmailadres@mail.com" to make the macro really work
    .CC = ""
    .BCC = ""
    .Subject = "Test - No Reply - Automatic mail"
    .HTMLBody = strBody
    .Send
	<b>.DeferredDeliveryTime = Date</b>
End With
On Error GoTo 0
Set Outmail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back