SaveAs function not working in any Office application, I think because of some Excel code

damianjmcgrath

Board Regular
I was writing some VBA to disable the SaveAs functionality of a spreadsheet, and couldn't quite get it to work, so I removed it and went down a different route to achieve what I wanted. However, ever since playing with that code, I can no longer use SaveAs in any Office application, including Excel. I can't remember the code I was playing with, I've since deleted it, and I'm not even 100% sure some VBA could have some wide-ranging implications.

Whenever I try and go to File --> SaveAs, it brings up the Save As window, so I can choose the Computer folder, and then choose My Documents, but clicking My Documents does nothing. It doesn't bring up the Save As File Dialog box. Even when I click Browse, that doesn't do anything either.

When I close a brand new unsaved spreadsheet, it prompts me to save for the first time, but then when I click Save, nothing happens.

It seems coincidental that I was messing around with some save code, and then these issues occur. I don't know what sort of setting I could have unticked, a disabling of file dialog boxes or whatever.

In VBA, I tried writing some code to bring up the save as dialog box, which was:

Code:
Sub Example1()

Dim intChoice As Integer 

Dim strPath As String 

intChoice = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogSaveAs).Show

If intChoice <> 0 Then 

strPath = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogSaveAs).SelectedItems(1) 

Call MsgBox(strPath, vbInformation, "Save Path")

End If 
End Sub
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]

But running that code did absolutely nothing. When I checked, intChoice was equal to 0 after the Application line of code.

Does anyone have any ideas?
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
No, I can't get the Save As dialog up at all. I go to File --> Save As, it brings up a window so I choose a folder, and whatever folder I choose, nothing happens at all. It doesn't bring up a normal Save As file dialog window, just nothing happens at all. Even if I click the Browse button on that Save As window, nothing happens.

Upvote 0
The steps I do are:

Go to File:

Click Save As, then Computer, and then whatever folder I click at the side (either My Documents, etc, or even the Browse button) does absolutely nothing. When I click the folders, I get a brief hourglass for 1 second then it disappears, and nothing else happens. (some organization specific text has been hidden below).

Upvote 0
The above problem occurs for new spreadsheets only.

For existing spreadsheets, I have a slightly different issue. When I go to Save As, and select My Documents, I get the following error messages:

On the last error, it doesn't matter if I click Yes, No or Cancel - it does absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses007

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back