VLOOKUP vs INDEX/MATCH?

parsec

Board Regular
Hello to all
I would like to here your opinion about the VLOOKUP vs INDEX/MATCH function.
Is one faster than the other, what is the difference, and what it will be the criteria to use one over the other?

I have a sheet with several VLOOKUP formulas, it takes a long time to get updated also when I save it takes a long time what causes this, any way to remedy this?

Thank you
All
John

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
When Vlookup is not applicable (as with when you need "left lookup"), Index/Match is what you need.

In your case, the speed is the issue. There won't be any significant difference because VLOOKUP and MATCH invokes the same routines.

If you retrieve data from multiple columns wrt a lookup value, Index/Match gives you a more efficient set up.

Why don't you post your VLOOKUP formula so that we can see what you're dealing with?

Upvote 0
Thank you
here is my formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2,'I:\NATURES MARKET WORK SPACE\WORKING IN\VENDORS CATALOGS\STOW\STOW CATALOG\[CHE Price List run on 3-3-04.xls]Sheet1'!Print_Area,8,0)

Shall I provide some more info about the sheet?

Sorry I had to wait for Excel to save the file before I had a chance to open it again it really takes along time to save?

Thank you

John

Upvote 0
parsec said:
Thank you
here is my formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2,'I:\NATURES MARKET WORK SPACE\WORKING IN\VENDORS CATALOGS\STOW\STOW CATALOG\[CHE Price List run on 3-3-04.xls]Sheet1'!Print_Area,8,0)

Shall I provide some more info about the sheet?

Sorry I had to wait for Excel to save the file before I had a chance to open it again it really takes along time to save?

Thank you

John

What does Sheet1!Print_Area refer to?

Upvote 0
I believe Aladin was refering to what range on the sheet is incorporated by Print_Area -- as in A1:Z100, etc.

Upvote 0
OK; I'm going to leave you in Aladin's more-than-capable hands. He's very good at supercharging formula/range sets. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
parsec said:
A1:M5000...

In how many cells do you have the formula

And are you only retrieving from the 8th column of Print_Area, the lookup table?

Upvote 0
Comments from http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeede.htm:
VLOOKUP is slightly faster (approx. 5%), simpler and uses less memory than a combination of MATCH and INDEX or OFFSET.
However the additional flexibility offered by MATCH and INDEX often allows you to make significant timesaving compared to VLOOKUP.
INDEX is very fast and from Excel 97 onwards is a non-volatile function (speeds up recalculation).
OFFSET is also very fast, but it’s a volatile function.
I have no test data to support the above assertions. You may wish to setup a comparison workbook with INDEX/MATCH and compare same with your VLOOKUP formulas.

In case you are not familiar with INDEX/MATCH, the following return the same answer (example from the above reference):
VLOOKUP(A1,Data!$A$2:$F$1000,3,False)
INDEX(Data!$A$2:$F$1000,MATCH(A1,$A$1:$A$1000,0),3)

The reference also suggests a number of strategies to speed-up lookups.

HTH

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back