Alternative to the V-LOOKUP? | Fairly simple table problem (PART 3)

James12513

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a formula that will transform the data in the "data table" into a format like the "presentation table" below.

I had a similar problem and some great guys gave some brilliant formulas that really helped. I am wondering if anyone knows a way that this can be done? :)

Similar table problem: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...imple-table-problem-part-2-a.html#post3885424

Thanks ever so much,

James

Data Table

ID no
Question
Answer
Favourite Colour
Blue
Favourite Animal
Horse
Favourite Car
Porsche
Favourite Colour
Pink
Favourite Animal
Dog
Favourite Car
BMW

Presentation Table

ID no
Favourite Colour
Favourite Animal
Favourite Car
Blue
Horse
Porsche
Pink
Not inscope
Not inscope
Not inscope
Dog
BMW

Aladin, Ah that's genius how that works! thank you! :)

@Fazza would also be nice to get your method working, I'm probably doing something stupid

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I'm guessing you're close to having it work, James. If you explain exactly what step fails it should be simple to sort out. regards

Upvote 0
Hi Fazza

It works an absolute charm! :D

I was being stupid, should have used the following:

TRANSFORM MAX(Answer)
SELECT [ID no]
FROM TRANSFORM MAX(Answer)
SELECT [ID no]
FROM `C:\Users\James\Desktop\source.xlsx`.`source$` `source$`
GROUP BY [ID no]
PIVOT Question
GROUP BY [ID no]
PIVOT Question

If you change the source data, is there no way the "presentation data" workbook can update automatically without having to run the SQL query again?

I changed the data in the "source" excel file but it only deleted the data in the "presentation workbook", i.e. if I changed ID no. 123 - favorite colour to Yellow in the source excel sheet, it would update the answer in the "presentation" excel sheet as blank.

Thank you!

James

Upvote 0
That SQL isn't exactly what I was expecting, James. However, to your questions.

If you change the source data. Not clear exactly what you mean. Similar to a pivot table, for the 'presentation data' workbook to update there must be a refresh operation: it is not automatic as formulas would be (when a workbook is in the normal auto-calculate mode). The refresh can readily be set to occur on opening of the 'presentation data' workbook or every n minutes - these are simple to change/set properties of the query table. And VBA offers other approaches.

Maybe the data refresh isn't understood? I don't know. It is a refresh like a pivot table refresh. There is no step to re-visit the SQL, just do the refresh. If doing this manually I'm a strong keyboard user so would select a cell within the results and press ALT-D-R.

I'm not clear about the favorite colour changing to yellow in the source sheet & then blank in the results. Like you, that doesn't sound right to me. Difficult to troubleshoot from here, sorry.

What you have so far is a scratch on the surface of what can be done with external data queries. If different things are required please google for further information, ask again.

regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back