AVERAGEIF - single criterion in multiple columns?

Gsaraco

I recently became familiar with the "AVERAGEIF" function. I've gotten the hand of using it, but now I have a problem. I am working with records that can have up to five separate category codes. Thus, 5 columns are reserved for the category of a given record.

To create a column average for a specific category, I would need to include all five of those columns in the criteria range. However, when I try a range with multiple columns, Excel only seems to include rows if the code appears in the first code column. So if I need, say, a Category 8 average, and a record is both a category 1 and 8, it will be ignored because the "8" code is in the second column of my criteria range. What could I do to make Excel scan all five category columns for a given category code?

I've looked into the AVERAGEIFS function, but my understanding is that it is used when more than one criteria are present. In my situation, I only need one criterion to be included in the average - it's just that a single type of criterion is spread across multiple columns.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Just use averageifs with the same criteria across multiple columns :-

=AVERAGEIFS(G:G,H:H,8,I:I,8,J:J,8,K:K,8,L:L,8)

Unless i've misunderstood your question :)

Upvote 0
Just use averageifs with the same criteria across multiple columns :-

=AVERAGEIFS(G:G,H:H,8,I:I,8,J:J,8,K:K,8,L:L,8)

Unless i've misunderstood your question :)
Thank you for the response! I have tried the method you described, and I always get a Divide By Zero error when I add the second criteria/range. Here is a picture to illustrate:

JdVuLsy.png

I tried filling all the blank cells with "99" in case that was the problem, but the Divide By Zero error persists. :(

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand.

There doesn't appear to be a single row in your data for which both the column B and column C entries are 8, so naturally your result will be #DIV/0!.

Regards

Upvote 0
AVERAGEIFS is doing the criteria as an AND...
If B=8 AND C=8 Then average G
I believe you want OR
If B=8 OR C=8 Then average G

Can't do that with averageifs
You'll need to do a manual SUM/COUNT

Will the 8 ever appear in more than one column of the same row?
If not, try
=SUMPRODUCT((B2:E33=8)*(G2:G33))/SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:E33=8))

Upvote 0
AVERAGEIFS is doing the criteria as an AND...
If B=8 AND C=8 Then average G
I believe you want OR
If B=8 OR C=8 Then average G

Can't do that with averageifs
You'll need to do a manual SUM/COUNT

Will the 8 ever appear in more than one column of the same row?
If not, try
=SUMPRODUCT((B2:E33=8)*(G2:G33))/SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:E33=8))
Ah yes, exactly - I need a record to be in the average if 8 appears in Column B or C. 8 would never appear in more than one column.

I am going to play around with the function you suggested, thanks!

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Just note that it's 'critical' that the 8 should never appear in more than 1 collumn for a given row.
It would cause the value in G to be averaged twice (or however many times the 8 appears in that row).

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Just note that it's 'critical' that the 8 should never appear in more than 1 collumn for a given row.
It would cause the value in G to be averaged twice (or however many times the 8 appears in that row).
Alright, this function is doing exactly what I needed it to. Excellent. :)

The only snag I'm running into is that a text entry in the average range causes the formula to return a #VALUE! error.

These text entries are in certain fields in which I've used an =IF function to return a dash ('-) instead of zero, since I want them to be ignored in average calculations. This works fine for my overall averages (using a basic AVERAGE function that ignores text), but I'm wondering if there's a way to make it play nice with this SUMPRODUCT function for the purposes of my category averages.

I've tried modifying my =IF function to return no text ("") instead of the dash, but the formula still sees that as a text cell rather than a blank cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, we're not going to be able to handle the text values in the average range..

Go ahead and let your IF formulas return 0's instead of -'s
Then ammend the average to

=SUMPRODUCT((B2:E33=8)*(G2:G33))/SUMPRODUCT((B2:E33=8)*(G2:G33<>0))

Upvote 0
This class of problems are better tackled with an explicit array-processing formula...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=AVERAGE(IF(B2:E33=8,IF(ISNUMBER(G2:G33),G2:G33)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back