R,C address in another worksheet

teachman

Hello,

I am trying to expand my knowledge and capabilities in Excel and I now have 'an opportunity to excel' (common US Army Officer's response to a lower rank asking a question):). Anyway, I know how to create a cell address using Row,Column when the addresses are all in the same worksheet, but I'm stuck when I need to address a cell in another worksheet.

For example, worksheet(1) is called Front, worksheet(2) is called FrontDES. In a cell in FrontDES I am calling a function I found on the net, thank you very much, that uses Row,Column addressing. So, in I am trying to get the cell contents of the cell Front!AN112. I've tried Front!112,Front!40, Front!(112,40), and some others but nothing works.

Since I enjoy exercising my 60 year old brain, I am willing and eager to learn something new today!

Thanks,

George Teachman

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
It would probably help if you showed us the function, or at the very least how you would call it if you were referring to a cell on the same sheet.

Upvote 0
Okay, I can feel some brain pain coming on.

This is the function I harvested from Excel Formula Based on Cell Background Colour |

Code:
Function CellColour(Irow As Integer, Icol As Integer) As Long
CellColour = Cells(Irow, Icol).Interior.ColorIndex
End Function

I put this function in the vba space of the worksheet named Front. Cell Front!AN112 (which is 112,40 in r,c) has an interior color of yellow (ColorIndex = 6).

In the worksheet named FrontDES, in cell D10 I try to enter: =IF(ColourCell(Front!112,Front!40)=6, Front!AN40, "") upon leaving this cell I get an error saying the formula is incorrect with the 112 highlighted.

In a further test of the function, in Front!AS112 I enter =IF(ColourCell(112,40)=6,"Yellow","Not Yellow") upon leaving this cell the dreaded #NAME? is displayed. The error is "The formula contains unrecognized text.".

I hope this is enough information to help y'all help me.

Thanks in advance.

George Teachman

Upvote 0
The function is CellColour, not ColourCell. It's also badly written. ;)

Try this:
Code:
Function CellColour(rg as Range) As Long
Application.Volatile True
CellColour = rg.Interior.ColorIndex
End Function

which you call with:
=CellColour(Front!AN40)
for example. Note that changing a cell colour doesn't trigger a recalculation of your workbook so this function will not be updated until something does cause the workbook to recalculate. Simple rule: colours aren't data, don't try and use them as such. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help on the function. However, when I call it, as you so kindly showed me, I still get the #NAME? displayed in the cell. With the error message "This formula contains unrecognized text.".

I copied the function code and pasted it into the Front worksheet vba editor space as the first item.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong now?

Thanks,

George

Upvote 0
Put the code in a new module (not the module named after the sheet)

Click Insert - Module
Paste the code there.

Upvote 0
Yes - it must go into a normal module, not a worksheet module.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer. I never would have thought about putting it into a normal module. I just assumed that it should go into the worksheet where it was to be used. I have never used a function. That gives away the limits of my capabilities. However, they say an old dog can learn new tricks. This one just learned a half trick, maybe.

Rory, I want to thank you for your time, patience, and good work.

Upvote 0
You are most welcome. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back