Return selected data from large list - Criteria dependant

ExcelRoy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am trying to return data on particular jobs from a large list on another sheet in the workbook

If the user enters a job no. into G5 then I would like data returned relevant to that job only

I have the following

C7;C10000 is the Date Entered
D7:D10000 is the unique employee no.
E7:E10000 is the employee name
F7:F10000 is the job no. worked on
G7:G10000 has job information
H7:H10000 has the hours worked

I was hoping to use something similar to that from below but not sure if this can be done?

=IF(H7="","",SUMIFS('TimesEntry'!H$7:H$15898,'TimesEntry'!D$7:D$15898,H7,'TimesEntry'!G$7:G$15898,G5,'TimesEntry'!$C$7:$C$15898,">="&$AD$7,'TimesEntry'!$C$7:$C$15898,"<="&IF($AD$8="",EOMONTH($AD$7,0),$AD$8)))

Many thanks for any help

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Your formula seems to be adding the sums of columns with text and other things. It sounds like you want to be able a job number into G5 and return the Date/Employee#/EmployeeName/JobInfo/Hours for that particular job number, correct?

If that's the case just have spots for the return values... such as in J1:J5... and return them all separately. So in J1 for Date Entered you would have:

=INDEX('TimesEntry'!$C$7:$C$15898,MATCH($G$5,$F$7:$F$15898,0))

Then for the others you would just put the other columns instead of C

Upvote 0
Hi svendiamond,

That's just brilliant, many thanks exactly what I needed

Would there be a way to modify this to return "" if there is a "" being returned as at the moment it would return a "0"

Thanks again

edit: When I drag doen this formula it only returns one entry only and not multiple entries?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi svendiamond,

Would there be a way to modify this to return "" if there is a "" being returned as at the moment it would return a "0"

There are probably better ways but this is what I always do:

=IF(INDEX('TimesEntry'!$C$7:$C$15898,MATCH($G$5,$F$7:$F$15898,0))=0,"",INDEX('TimesEntry'!$C$7:$C$15898,MATCH($G$5,$F$7:$F$15898,0)))

aka "if the answer to my INDEX/MATCH is zero, blank, otherwise, same INDEX/MATCH

edit: When I drag doen this formula it only returns one entry only and not multiple entries?

Change the $G$5 to wherever your lookup values are and remove the $$ so G5

Upvote 0
Hi svendiamond,

Many thanks, but I think I may have confused slightly

I am hoping that I enter a job number into G5 and the formulas will pick all assoiated information from the TimesEntry sheet

There will be many lines of different data inputed so I need the formula to return everything from the TimesEntry associated with G5

The layout would be exactly as you have suggested in different columns, but I would like the dates shown in say C8:C208, D8:D208 for the employee etc etc

Hope this is possible

Many thanks for your help

Upvote 0
Hi svendiamond,

Many thanks, but I think I may have confused slightly

I am hoping that I enter a job number into G5 and the formulas will pick all assoiated information from the TimesEntry sheet

There will be many lines of different data inputed so I need the formula to return everything from the TimesEntry associated with G5

The layout would be exactly as you have suggested in different columns, but I would like the dates shown in say C8:C208, D8:D208 for the employee etc etc

Hope this is possible

Many thanks for your help

Destination sheet other than TimesEntry..

G5 houses a job number of interest.

G6, just enter, copy across to H6, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX(TimesEntry!C$7:C$10000,
  AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(TimesEntry!$F$7:$F$10000)-ROW(TimesEntry!$F$7)+1)/
  (TimesEntry!$F$7:$F$10000=G$5)),ROWS(G$6:G6)),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

Yes indeed the destination sheet is different from TimesEntry

I have entered your suggested formula into C8 and copied across and down, but this just shows nothing at all?

Many thanks for trying to help

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

Yes indeed the destination sheet is different from TimesEntry

I have entered your suggested formula into C8 and copied across and down, but this just shows nothing at all?

Many thanks for trying to help

G5 must have a job number of interest.

Formula must be entered in G6, copied across to H6, then down.

This should give you records from C and D columns of TimesEntry as you requested.

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

sorry but the formula doesn't seem to work

I have done exactly how you have said but can not get it to work
I have tried it s an array formula and still nothing

I have noticed that when I drag from G6 to H6 the G5 turns to H5 which should'nt be the case, this should always stay as G5 that said I have tried with G5 alo and still nothing

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

I think I may have the answer why it doesn't work. I have 2007 excel and I believe that AGGREGATE only works on 2010

Would there be another option to suit 2007

Many Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back