Extracting first name from dissimilar email addresses

gmcelroy

Hi All,

I have a long list of email addresses, all in different formats (ie. not your standard first.last@domain.com).

I'm able to extract the first name where possible using a list of 5,000 first names as my search values and the email address as my text to search within. I'm also only searching text that is left of the @ symbol. Here's the formula I'm using:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(1E+100,SEARCH('first names'!$A$2:$A$5313,LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1)),'first names'!$A$2:$A$5313),"")

Where 'first names'!$A$2:$A$5313 is the list of first names and 'A2' is the email address. This works great, but I now want to only return a value if the email address STARTS with the first name. For example, I want chris@gmail.com to return "Chris" but merrychristmas@gmail.com to return null.

Column AColumn B
chris@gmail.comChris
merrychristmas@gmail.comNULL

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Glenn

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Perhaps,
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1),'First Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Ron, thanks for the reply!

I tried your formula and it works well for emails that only have a first name before the @ symbol. However, it doesn't work for emails that have more than that. For example:

chris@gmail.com <--Returns 'chris'
chris.jones@gmail.com <-- Returns nothing

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Glenn

Upvote 0
Are there any other formats besides chris@... or chris.jones@...
For example, could it ever be chrisjones@... or jones.chris@... or anything else?

Upvote 0
Are there any other formats besides chris@... or chris.jones@...
For example, could it ever be chrisjones@... or jones.chris@... or anything else?

Yes, it could be chris@, chris.jones@, or chrisjones@. Basically any address that starts with a matching first name. I guess you could say the format is <first_name>XXXX@domian.com, where X is any number of wildcard characters.

Thanks
glenn

Upvote 0
This will handle the chris@ and chris.jones@ format, but not for chrisjones@ because I don't have a way to determine where firstname ends and lastname begins.
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1),'First Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND(".",A2)-1),'First Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),""))

Upvote 0
This will handle the chris@ and chris.jones@ format, but not for chrisjones@ because I don't have a way to determine where firstname ends and lastname begins.
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1),'First Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND(".",A2)-1),'First Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),""))

Thanks for your help RonB! Unfortunately I really need it to work for all cases...otherwise I'll be leaving a lot of emails on the table.

Is there a way to edit my original formula so that it only returns a value if the email STARTS with the first name?

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=IFERROR(LOOKUP(1E+100,SEARCH('first names'!$A$2:$A$5313,LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1)),'first names'!$A$2:$A$5313),"")[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Is there a way to edit my original formula so that it only returns a value if the email STARTS with the first name?
You may need to clarify your question. This formula will return results in the following order:
1. Entire string on the left of @ if it matches a name in your First Names list
2. Entire string on the left of the first "." if it matches a name in your First Names list
3. Entire string on the left of the @ (if there was no match in the 2 conditions above).
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1),'First   Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A2,FIND(".",A2)-1),'First  Names'!A$2:A$5313,1,FALSE),LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1)))
I don't know how to tell if an email STARTS with the first name. The reasons include:
1. Some names can be both 1st and last, eg: Allen, George, Arnold, Michael, Paul etc.
2. If you look at the 1st few letters to test for a match, you could easily get the name wrong. Eg: daniellegrand@xyz.com - is this Daniel LeGrand or Danielle Grand? If it's based on the 1st 3 letters "Dan", and the name is actually Danielle, she might view anything sent to her as "Dan" or "Daniel" in a negative light.
If the above formula is not useful, please provide some guidelines on how you'd identify the 1st name. While there may not be a formula solution, perhaps another contributor could come up with a VBA solution.

Upvote 0
If the above formula is not useful, please provide some guidelines on how you'd identify the 1st name.

Hi RonB,

There are 2 criteria that need to be met for the formula to return a first name:
1. The email address starts with the first name.
2. In cases where there may be multiple matches (eg. Dan, Daniel, Danielle), the formula should return the longest matching first name.

I think this should do it. We'll be sending emails out in smaller batches, so I'll be able to review the list and correct any corner cases (eg. daniellegrand).

Thanks!
Glenn

Upvote 0
Hopefully another contributor will see this and have a solution (probably VBA) if its possible to do this. I'm unable to come up with one. If nobody responds then start a new thread with VBA in the title and an explanation of all the criteria.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back