Retrieving data from multiple workbooks into 1 database: How? Excel or Acces?

Tropicaro

Hello world,

First time poster, but visited heaps in the past and I found this forum to be very helpful.

I'm about to set up a new database and would like to get it right from the start. At the moment I'm running a similar database (set up years ago) and this one relies on manual data entry, which is a huge task (I'm getting the data delivered in a PDF file). I'm trying to avoid that this time as the data is delivered in Excel.

Every day I get around 20 emails with Quality Assessment reports (in Excel), so each report is a separate excel file. The information I need is on 1 tab, always in the same cells.
The Quality Assessment Report looks like a form, not a database, which means I need to get data from different cells. My goal is to get all this information into a nice tabular database.

How can I do this? Is it better to do this via Excel or Access (no experience with Access)?

I'm using Excel 2007, Windows 7.

Is there any way that I can attach files, so that you can have a look at what I mean?

Thank you very much!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
As long os your database will be relatively simple Table, then Excel.
For starters, see this link http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...how-retrieve-data-other-closed-workbooks.html
As long as your cells map easily it shouldn't be a big deal.
I would say to make the macro give you the option of selection multiple files to be imported.
It should be able to loop thru each file.
For each file it will copy your values from each file to a new row in your database file....

Upvote 0
Hi SpillerBD,

thanks for you reply. I've never really used a macro, so it scares me a bit. I've read your link and it's a bit Chinese to me, sorry.
I'd like to attach my files, but I don't have the permission to do so.

Upvote 0
Attaching files is done using links provided via share though OneDrive, Google Drive or other file sharing.
Code is generally shared in the forum using the # Wrap code option.
I don't have the need you have, but am curious in a complete solution. If you're lucky someone like Rick Rothstein will see your question.

Upvote 0
Hi SpillerBD,

thanks for you reply. I've never really used a macro, so it scares me a bit. I've read your link and it's a bit Chinese to me, sorry.
I'd like to attach my files, but I don't have the permission to do so.

Oh yeah, Macros can cover all kinds of cool repetitive actions. Use the Macro Recorder to get familiar with the VBA code for almost anything. "I did this and in VBA it looks like this."
Macros can be like crack too. Once you start using them you'll start using them more and more and more.....
Jelen & Walkenbach are the two authors in my VBA library. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back