Adding additional data to pivot without source data

excel_1317

Board Regular
I have an excel file which has around 8 tabs with pivots. 1 tab for data source for pivots. Data source has some formula driven columns which ultimately source the pivot.

Now the problem...

I have made a copy of 1 tab(with Pivots) to new workbook which has data for employees in row filter and their respective performance in Values filter. Each filter works fine...I dont know without the source data how pivot filters works fine:confused:...

Secondly, I want to add employees's manager name to this pivot(means to the row filter).. But can this be done without source data??

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
The data will remain connected to the original source.
On the new Book (copied Pivot Table results sheet) select the "Change Data Source" You will notice that the Table range is the original file (complete Path/File....range reference.)
So make a link to the original data, maybe with a hyperlink. Making changes will work fine as long as the original file remains in the same location.

Upvote 0
Can't this be done in the new workbook itself? Bcause i hav to email this new workbook and the link to the original datasource will be broken.

Upvote 0
The data will still be there, BUT if an attempt to update or REFRESH the pivot table should fail.
Filters and formatting changes can be made to the pivot table without updating the connection or refreshing the Pivot data.
If the grand total (no filters) is double clicked, a report with all the original data will open up and be retained. That can provide the "copy" of the original source data without actively sending the data if changes or additions need to be made by the receiver. THAT can also be a concern if there is detail information.

Upvote 0
The data will still be there, BUT if an attempt to update or REFRESH the pivot table should fail.
Filters and formatting changes can be made to the pivot table without updating the connection or refreshing the Pivot data.
If the grand total (no filters) is double clicked, a report with all the original data will open up and be retained. That can provide the "copy" of the original source data without actively sending the data if changes or additions need to be made by the receiver. THAT can also be a concern if there is detail information.

Thank you for this info!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back