VBA: How to create a function to divide the smallest number by the largest within a range

mathgirl09

Hi, I would like to know what code I'm supposed to use to be able to create a function by dividing the smallest value by the largest one by selecting 2 cells within the range each time until the last value in the range. For example:
A150
A248
A345
A442
A540

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to select the cells from A1 to A5 containing the values as noted (A1=50, ..., A5=40) and I would like to select 2 cells everytime in that range so: selecting A1 and A2 and divide the smallest value by the largest : A2/A1 (= 48/50); then select A2 and A3, and divide A3 by A2 (=45/48) and so on.

I tried:
Code:
Function ratio(ByVal nb1 As Single, ByVal nb2 As Single) As Single

If nb2 > nb1 Then
    ratio = nb1 / nb2
Else
    Choose nb2 > nb1

End If
End Function

OK. I recommend that you use the Macro Recorder, and record yourself manually entering the first ratio formula on Sheet1, then stopping the recorder and view the code it just recorded. You should then be able to copy the formula part of that to your code to get it to reference the sheet and range correctly.

It will be a good exercise for you. The Macro Recorder is a very helpful tool when creating VBA code.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back