Is there a match formatting function?

architechnid

Okay, so I'm trying to do something pretty advanced to save a ton of time doing invoices. I have a company that provides different pre-listing services to Realtors that are based on different rates.

Photography is based on Square Feet
Lawncare is based on Acreage
Make Ready Cleaning is also on Square Feet
Staging is based on the number of rooms

I've created the columns as follows
B - Service (cells go to pull down list in column N)
C - Description (manually inputted by user)
F - Area (this is the multiplier, or where the number of square feet, acreage, or rooms goes) I want the value manually input, but formatted from column O.
G - Price (Calculated based on column F and the rate listed in Column P)
N - Pull Down Source Range for Service
O - Format of Area, custom format like #,##0" SF" or #,##0" Rooms"
P - The rate to multiply column F by to get the answer in column G

My question is this: Is there a function, similar to the MATCH function, but instead of pulling the value, it pulls the formatting from Column O based on the value in column B (using the index function with Column N)

So it would look something like =INDEX(O3:O17,MATCH(B12,N3:N17,0)) except instead of MATCH it would be MATCHFORMATTING, or whatever the function is.

In lieu of there being a match formatting function, is there another way in which I can make the formatting in Column F conditional not in color but in format, based on what is shown in Column B?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
It's called Conditional Formatting.

You can format multiple cells (for some reason your predefined styles are unavailable, at least that's how it is in my copy of Excel 2013).
You can do this based on a formula, there's a lot written about them already online so I won't repeat, search for something like "conditional formatting based on formula excel".

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
First off, thank you.

So, it's kind of working, but not quite. In the conditional formatting, I highlight F12, select new rule, and then go to 'Use a formula...'.

I put the formula in as follows: =INDEX(O3:O17,MATCH(B12,N3:N17,0))
I then set to format as #,##0" SF"

So, for Photos, Mk Rdy Clean, and Acreage it comes up as the conditional format, and everything else it stays as General. What I want is to have it be #,##0" SF"
for Photos and Mk Rdy; #,##0" Acres" for Acreage; #,##0" Rooms" for Staging; and #,##0" Prty/mo" for VIP Dimond. I don't understand where I'm going wrong, however. I don't know why it shows SF for the three it does, and nothing for the others.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back