AOB

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,

I've read online that it is possible to use wildcard characters within INDEX / MATCH array formulas but I'm having no luck implementing such a formula?

I have a sheet of data and need to locate information in a named range ("rngLookup") based on 4 criteria - one of which is a 'partial' match of text. So in one column (column B), I have some pipe-delimited 'options' and I need the formula to detect a match if the keyword is present within the cell's text, enclosed by the pipe character.

This is the formula I'm using :

Code:
{=IFERROR(INDEX(rngLookup,
  MATCH(1,
    (OFFSET(rngLookup,0,0,,1)="Alan")*
    [COLOR=#ff0000](OFFSET(rngLookup,0,1,,1)="*|DEFG|*")*[/COLOR]
    (OFFSET(rngLookup,0,2,,1)="123")*
    (OFFSET(rngLookup,0,4,,1)="X")
  ,0),4),
"")}

This is the line in the named range that should match based on the above example (and return the "Y" in column D)

A
B
C
D
E
F
Alan
|ABCD|DEFG|
Y
X

<tbody>
</tbody>

The second array (highlighted in red) is returning all FALSE values; I was hoping the wildcards before and after in the string could be used to detect the required text within the cell?

Can anybody advise what I'm doing wrong? (The other 3 criteria are working fine...)

Thanks

AOB

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
It's a dynamic range but basically it's columns A1:F215

(Could extend downward to more rows over time but will always be columns A:F)

Upvote 0
Actually thinking about it this should work:

=IFERROR(INDEX(rngLookup,MATCH(1,(OFFSET(rngLookup,0,0,,1)="Alan")*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("|DEFG|",OFFSET(rngLookup,0,1,,1)))*(OFFSET(rngLookup,0,2,,1)=123)* (OFFSET(rngLookup,0,4,,1)="X"),0),4),"")

Upvote 0
Works a charm! Cheers Steve!

(So I take it that wildcards aren't actually an option in INDEX / MATCH array formulas then?...)

Upvote 0
Works a charm! Cheers Steve!

(So I take it that wildcards aren't actually an option in INDEX / MATCH array formulas then?...)

I know that you can use wildcards in MATCH() for the lookup_value. I'm not sure about in the lookup_array, I haven't tried that.

=MATCH("*"&A1&"*", lookup_array, 0)

The above will find the first cell in the lookup_array that has a string containing the text A1 anywhere within it, so if A1 was the letter "d" it would find the first cell containing a letter d.

Hope that helps

Mackers

Upvote 0
Yes maybe it was more that offset didn't like it rather than match. Match is happy with wildcards. This for instance would work:

=MATCH("*|DEFG|*",B9:B14,0)

Upvote 0
This is slightly different way of saying the same thing without the OFFSET.

=IFERROR(INDEX(rngLookup,MATCH(1,IF(INDEX(rngLookup,,1)="Alan",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*|DEFG|*",INDEX(rngLookup,,2))),IF(INDEX(rngLookup,,3)=123,IF(INDEX(rngLookup,,5)="X",1)))),0),4),"")

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help guys!

I can get the formula working fine now, however my next step is to try to do this through VBA rather than directly onto the spreadsheet.

I'll start a new thread as technically it's a different problem...

Upvote 0
You could use evaluate.

Code:
x = Evaluate("=IFERROR(INDEX(rngLookup,MATCH(1,IF(INDEX(rngLookup,,1)=""Alan"",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(""*|DEFG|*"",INDEX(rngLookup,,2))),IF(INDEX(rngLookup,,3)=123,IF(INDEX(rngLookup,,5)=""X"",1)))),0),4),"""")")
MsgBox x

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomvula

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back