2 files with passwords. I open one, input password, it opens, then it asks for the other file's password?

isafloor

Office Version
  1. 2007
Hello, I had some strange behaviour in a couple of excel files.

Both files have about 10 sheets each and have a totals sheets. After I introduced some formulas it got really slow, both of them, so I deleted the formulas and decided that if I need that information I'll simply create the formulas again and then delete them.

Well, I noticed the following: when I would type information in a cell, the formulas would not do their job, until I saved the file. I searched the forum and found a solution, formulas were not in automatic, even though previously they were and I never moved anything.

Now, I noticed also that when I open one of the password protected files (File A), it asks for the other file's password (File B), but not the other way around. I checked for any formulas that reference to File B but found none.

1. I open File A.
2. It asks me File A's password, I type it.
3. File A opens.
4. It asks File B's password.
5. I type it in or click "cancel" on different occasions and nothing happens, I just continue working on the file I wanted to open.

So I deleted File A's password and the same thing happened.

So I deleted File A's and B's passwords and now a different thing happens with File A that doesn't happen with File B.

1. I open File A.
2. I do nothing.
3. I close File A.
4. It asks me if I want to save changes (this is strange for when I open and close File B after doing nothing, it doesn't ask to do this).

Help! I plan on recording a lot of valuable information here so I need to be sure everything will be ok and I won't have any surprise crashes in the middle of work.

Cheers,

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Would help if you posted some of the formulas / code / etc., so we know what we're dealing with :)

Upvote 0
Would help if you posted some of the formulas / code / etc., so we know what we're dealing with :)

There are two many formulas but I am wondering if this would help, I mean, it seems that there is some other error going on?

I'll try describing:

I have about 10 stores, each store has its sheet. I use this excel to keep track of inputs, things that the store use in order to sell or service, for example, pens, repair materials, etc. So each time a store orders something it is registered in the sheet. All the materials are selected from a drop down list, when "oil" is selected, a column with "unit" appearse inmediately with "liters". Then they write the liters they want and a column with cost automatically multiplies the liters they want with the price (which is taken from another sheet, the "info sheet", with specifics on each input (unit, price, etc.), the price is taken from another sheet, the "purchases" sheet", where the "info sheet" averages all purchases of that particular item, in this case, "oil").

Upvote 0
I changed both files names' and indeed there is a link to another file, for now when I open File A I get:

"This sheet contains one or more link that cannot update
To change the the source of the links or to try again to update values, clic on Modify links
To leave the links as they are, click on Continue.
Continue - Modify links"

I checked the link and have checked other suggestions online for finding said link but I cannot get to it!

http://excel.tips.net/T001925_Uncove...ing_Links.html
http://tjshome.com/blog/249/guide/excel/accounting

Upvote 0
I deleted all sheets, found the problem one, deleted columns, found the problem one, deleted rows and discovered that a single cell with information that I copied from File B was causing all the headache... it had a data validation path to File B...! This explains why I couldn't find the cell with a "[" search...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowinx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back