Index most recent cell value if column meets criteria

gracepf

Hello!

I'm a teacher and I'm using Excel as a grading tool. I enter daily scores for my students based on the work they complete. These scores are entered into columns. The heading of each column has the date and a code (a common core state standard for the work being completed).

On a separate tab within that workbook, I have a summary set of data. On this page, I already have an average for each of the standards over the course of the unit. I would also like to be able to see the most recent score for that standard. This is the column I am having trouble with.

To be more specific: For the purposes of this question, I would like to know what formula to use in column AC (for an example) so that I can find the most recent score (from the 5.NF tab) for each student that is a 5.NF.A.1 score (i.e. that matches the code at the top of the AC column)

The (redacted) file can be found here and downloaded to allow for manipulation:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1kmc7fkiw6pakj/EXCEL QUESTION FILE .xls?dl=0
(Note: online it looks really strange and has many missing formulas. Please use this link to download the file and open it with excel to see the columns and formulas I'm asking about :))

Can anyone help a noob like me figure out how to input the most recent score for a given assignment type?

Thank you!!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi Grace,

I'm still learning too, maybe is this you looking for?

type this formula

=HLOOKUP(MAX(IF('5.NF'!$H$4:$M$4=Summary!I$4,'5.NF'!$H$1:$M$1)),'5.NF'!$H$1:$M5,ROW(),FALSE)

then press Ctrl + shift + enter, that is an array formula, the result will be pic below (there's {} within the formula)

mind the $, I made it so it can be dragged down.

285t2b.jpg
[/IMG]

Warm regards,

Adrian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back