Mail Merge Multiple Rows into One Document in Microsoft Word

gint32

Board Regular
Hi All,

MS Office 2003

I have got a question ...is it possible to Mail Merge Multiple Rows into One Document in Microsoft Word and if so how can I go about this.
I have exhausted all my options that I know(which is very limited).
and had a good search online for a way that's not to complicated for a novice.

but the follow and similar options is way over my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ck8KAwAQso

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
As indicated in my replies to that video, the process, including the field coding, was stolen from my my Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial | Windows Secrets Lounge
or:
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue Mailmerge.zip
The tutorial covers everything from list creation to the insertion & calculation of values in multi-record tables in letters. You should read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included with it.

The field coding for this is complex. However, since the tutorial document includes working field codes for all of its examples, most of the hard work has already been done for you - you should be able to do little more than copy/paste the relevant field codes into your own mailmerge main document, substitute/insert your own field names and adjust the formatting to get the results you desire. For some worked examples, see the attachments to the posts at:
mail merge with duplicate names but different dollar amounts
Access to Word, Creating a list from multiple records
Word 2010 Merge from excel into Table Directory | Windows Secrets Lounge

Another option would be to use a DATABASE field in a normal ‘letter’ mailmerge main document and a macro to drive the process. An example of this approach can be found at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...g-tables/8bce1798-fbe8-41f9-a121-1996c14dca5d
Depending on what you're trying to acgieve, Word's DATABASE field can even be used without recourse to a mailmerge. An example of such usage can be found at: Mail merge into different coloumns

Alternatively, you may want to try one of the Many-to-One Mail Merge add-ins, from:
Graham Mayor at http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm; or
Doug Robbins at http://bit.ly/1hduSCB

In addition to a 'Many to One' merge, the latter handles:
• Merge with Charts
• Duplex Merge
• Merge with FormFields
• Merge with Attachments
• Merge to Individual Documents
• Merge, Print and Staple

Upvote 0
Thanks, so many examples to play around with to achieve the results I need, I am sure something will work from all of these...thanks

Upvote 0
I may not have explained what I need properly so here goes now, I have quickly went through all of these links, they a far more complex than for what I need and the samples mostly deal with clumping categories together and still create lots of pages. I only wish to work with one page and be ab and a fele to print one page holding a few different records/rows (maxium of sixteen records/rows on one daily running sheet really), I basically recieve extracted bed records and ward/room location of patients that's gets sent to me in excel.csv, I then pre-run a personal macro to clean up the data and rid of the unwanted (as you do).

So, all I wish to be able to do is put the extracted data onto 1X A4 piece of paper which has columns on it in a similar layout of our ward (plan view). This will be updated everyday from a new .CSV, it has to show who's and why they are there and in rare cases some of the rooms are empty, so I need to be able to skip the empty ones. The thing is when I try the basic mail merge wizard with ms word, I can't get the data all on one sheet, it produces lots of sheets for each row. So this is the issue that i need direction with, to add to this the vba or code needs to somehow find the corresponding wing/room number and then insert the patients name into the next field to the right (or left) of the depending on which side of the corridor they are in.

The room numbers never change C1-8 & D1-8
but Patients come and go daily

CSV Data for test/Merge purposes:

RoomSnameAddressIllnessArrivalDate
C1SmithBrisbaneO'Brien1/1/2001
C6JonesMt GambierCleary1/2/2001
C5WhiteLauncestonMaher1/3/2001
D5BrownWodongaPalmer1/4/2001
D2Green, JPerthWark

<tbody>
</tbody>

Shame, I can't upload the word doc , so below is my attempted paste from word.

West Wing P/Name D Ward P/Name EastWing

D4
VACANT
Brown
D5
A/Date NULL 1/4/2001 A/Date
D3
VACANT VACANTD6
A/Date A/Date
D2
Green, J VACANTD7
A/Date A/Date
D1 VACANT VACANTD8
A/Date A/Date
C Ward WestC Ward East
C4 VACANTC5
A/Date A/Date
C3 VACANT JonesC6
A/Date NULL 1/2/2001 A/Date
C2 VACANT VACANTC7
A/Date NULL NULL A/Date
C1 Smith VACANTC8
A/Date NULL NULL A/Date

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Cross-posted at: Merge csv data onto one A4 page containing columns

Please read our policy on Cross-Posting in rule #13: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/99490-forum-rules.html

If there is a static layout (not data) in the workbook you can use to relate its data to the Word document, you could copy the source cells in Excel, then paste them into Word via Paste Special with the 'Paste Link' option. That way, the data in the Word document will auto-update to reflect changes in the workbook.; otherwise, you could use a separate DATABASE field for each table cell in Word, to pull the Excel data into the correct Word cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tanne

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back