Help with YTD fomula for Sales

Des_Ireland

Hey all,

Long time reader - first time poster! :)

So I have a simple workbook which has a sheet containing sales records by year, month and team\dept. Version below.
It has a totals sheet and a lists page for some input validation.
On the "Sales Total" sheet, I want to present the users with some dropdowns to vary the totals they see. So the user can select year and month, the result being the total for sales that month and then Sales YTD for that year (up to month end). I'll eventually incorporate being able to reduce it down to sales by team (showing MTD and YTD)
I can easily get the month total, given the month and year, but i'm struggling with the YTD figure. Can anyone help? I've tried all sorts of SUM, SUMIF, SUMIFS, sumproduct, etc using index, match, address too, but can't seem to figure it out!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
YearMonthTeamSale amount
2015DecemberIT100
2016Januaryconsult50
2016JanuaryService10
2016FebruaryIT25
2016Marchsupport5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Have you considered a pivot table?
Utilize Filters (pre 2010 excel)/Slicers(2010version and later) to do your Year and Month options, and to allow the reader to drill down into the numbers by team that way.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, a pivot won't suffice here for me. This is something that I need to make as simple as possible and lock down ranges etc and my experience of giving Pivots out for people to use hasn't been great so far.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

Upvote 0
Make the file read-only or limit accessibility by using passwords?

Is the information extracted from the data more important or providing a delayed, but idiot-proof spreadsheet priority here?

Upvote 0
its a 50/50 between whats more important - both the information and being idiot proof is whats needed.
Where the sales are entered will be locked so only certain people can update this list, with the overall file needing a password to open due to security standards.. I'll be locking down formulas too, so essentially all a normal user can do is change the year and month dropdowns.
sometimes the sales get updated after a month end too, so the list of sales won't always be in month order.

Upvote 0
Seems trivial, Excel has capability to do exactly what you need but you're trying to redesign the wheel.

Get the end users trained up and make them accountable for mistakes if they can't learn how to use a pivot table.

Or build a "reset" feature (VBA) to rebuild the pivot table if they mess it up.

Request the user backs up the file before making any changes to it.

You're already saying the file itself needs a password to open and you're locking down the formulas - open it as read-only for those who only need to extract data (not update it) and for those who do need to update it.. caveat emptor or buyer beware if they refuse to train themselves up to use a tool thats been created to aid them.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the advise on going with a better solution with regards the actual file, but for various reasons it won't work. I'd love it if people would go to the bother and actually learn a bit about excel, but i've no control over that. To get them trained etc is a medium term solution.

I really just need to get a formula to calculate the figure. If its impossible to do so, then fair enough - another solution will be needed! (thats someone elses problem then!)

Upvote 0
Hi, how about something like this:

Excel 2013
ABCDEFGHI
1YearMonthHelper (can be hidden)TeamSale amountYTD
22015December01/12/2015IT1002016February85
32016January01/01/2016consult50
42016January01/01/2016Service10
52016February01/02/2016IT25
62016March01/03/2016support5
Database
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=(1&B2&A2)+0
I2=SUMIFS(E:E,C:C,">="&G2&"-1-1",C:C,"<="&EOMONTH("1"&H2&G2,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tanne

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back