Find first blank row across 2 columns

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi gers

there is any other information below first blank cell in A or B, there is any random blank cell in your columns, or there is no data after first empty cell?

Upvote 0
Hi gers

there is any other information below first blank cell in A or B, there is any random blank cell in your columns, or there is no data after first empty cell?

Yes, there could be a number below the first blank cell in each.

For example A1:A8 might contain:

(blank)
(blank)
(blank)

And B1:B8 might contain:

(blank)
(blank)
(blank)
(blank)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi

Try this, but as always suggested make a backup before doing it, and please check the 2 red comment
Code:
Sub gers1()
lra = ActiveSheet.Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
lrb = ActiveSheet.Range("b" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If lra < lrb Then
lr = lrb
Else
lr = lra
End If
For i = 1 To lr
Range("A" & i).Select
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value = "" And ActiveCell.Value = "" Then
ActiveCell.Value = "thizempty" [COLOR=#ff8c00]'''your formula to column A[/COLOR]
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = "thizemptytoo" [COLOR=#ff8c00]'''your formula to column B[/COLOR]
End If
Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
You could also try this non-looping method in a copy of your workbook.

Rich (BB code):
Sub FirstBlankPair()
  Dim fb As Long

With Columns("A").Resize(ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count + 1)
    fb = Application.Min(Evaluate(Replace(Replace("if(len(#)=0,if(len(^)=0,row(#),""""),"""")", "#", .Address), "^", .Offset(, 1).Address)))
  End With
  Range("A" & fb).Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = vbRed
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, thanks, but I think an example of what I'm trying to do would be better. Attached is a sample sheet with dummy data.

What I'm trying to achieve is a button to add a new EWN. When clicked it should:

1) Look down column A (starting at A12) for the first blank row
2) Make sure that column B of the same row is also blank
3) Work out the maximum number in any of the cells above in column A (so in my attached example this would be 6)
4) Populate the cell in A with this value

I also want a button to add a new CEN, which does the same as above but for column B, i.e. find the first blank row in B, but also make sure the equivalent cell in A is blank, before taking the next sequential number from column B's values.

There's a slight complication in column B in that not all values so far are numerical, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

File is here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2213114/Test.xlsm

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub GetNextEWN()

Dim lastRowA As Integer
    Dim lastRowB As Integer

lastRowA = ActiveSheet.Cells(1048576, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    lastRowB = ActiveSheet.Cells(1048576, 2).End(xlUp).Row + 1

If lastRowA >= lastRowB Then
        ActiveSheet.Range("A" & lastRowA).Value = WorksheetFunction.Max(Range("A12:A" & lastRowA)) + 1
    Else
        ActiveSheet.Range("A" & lastRowB).Value = WorksheetFunction.Max(Range("A12:A" & lastRowA)) + 1
    End If

End Sub
Sub GetNextCEN()

Dim lastRowA As Integer
    Dim lastRowB As Integer

lastRowA = ActiveSheet.Cells(1048576, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    lastRowB = ActiveSheet.Cells(1048576, 2).End(xlUp).Row + 1

If lastRowB >= lastRowA Then
        ActiveSheet.Range("B" & lastRowB).Value = WorksheetFunction.Max(Range("B12:B" & lastRowB)) + 1
    Else
        ActiveSheet.Range("B" & lastRowA).Value = WorksheetFunction.Max(Range("B12:B" & lastRowB)) + 1
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
In your sample, the first row with both columns blank appears to be row 25, which is the row below all your data. Will that always be the case or could the first time a pair of blank rows appear be in among your existing data? For example, could cell B17 be empty, and if so, should row 17 be used for the new EWN or CEN?

Upvote 0
In your sample, the first row with both columns blank appears to be row 25, which is the row below all your data. Will that always be the case or could the first time a pair of blank rows appear be in among your existing data? For example, could cell B17 be empty, and if so, should row 17 be used for the new EWN or CEN?

It'll always be at least 25 (using the attachment as an example). In other words every used row will have either an EWN # (col A) or CEN # (col B). Any row that has A & B blank should be the next totally blank row

Upvote 0
It'll always be at least 25 (using the attachment as an example). In other words every used row will have either an EWN # (col A) or CEN # (col B). Any row that has A & B blank should be the next totally blank row
In that case here are some alternative codes.

Rich (BB code):
Sub GetNextEWN()
  With Range("A" & Columns("A:B").Find(What:="*", After:=Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                                        SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Row + 1)
    .FormulaR1C1 = "=MAX(R12C:R[-1]C)+1"
    .Value = .Value
  End With
End Sub

Sub GetNextCEN()
  With Range("B" & Columns("A:B").Find(What:="*", After:=Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                                        SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Row + 1)
    .FormulaR1C1 = "=MAX(R12C:R[-1]C)+1"
    .Value = .Value
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back