if isnumber search and iserror vlookup index match - used together.

Emile du Toit

Hi All,

I have just wasted two hours trying to get this right, but to no avail. The formula I am trying to create is actually a small part of a bunch of formulas for various suppliers that I am combining in a column by using concatenate. With this in mind, I would like to avoid array formulas if at all possible, as none of the other IF statements require this.

What I want the formula to do:
IF a particular cell contains the part match "CVSNVT", AND i can find an exact match for this cell in a different column (column G in spreadsheet 'Updated SKU Price Quantity'), THEN to use the INDEX MATCH formula to compare this cell with that column (column G in spreadsheet 'Updated SKU Price Quantity') till it finds the match and then return the value on that row in column J in spreadsheet 'Updated SKU Price Quantity'). Otherwise, IF this particular cell contains the part match "CVSNVT", but does not contain a exact match to any cell in the other column (still column G in spreadsheet 'Updated SKU Price Quantity'), THEN to return "90 Day Warranty".

Current
B
C
O
R (COLUMN BEING INPUTTED)
CVSNVT78
1 YEAR WARRANTY
CVSNVT5590
90 DAY WARRANTY
CVSTRU9111
CVSNVT5678
2 YEAR WARRANTY

<tbody>
</tbody>

ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE
B
C
D
O
CVSNVT78
CVSNVT5590
CVSTRU9111
CVSNVT5678

<tbody>
</tbody>

UPDATED SKU PRICE QUANTITY
B
G
J
K
CVSNVT4020
1 YEAR WARRANTY
CVSNV5678
2 YEAR WARRANTY
CVSNVT78
1 YEAR WARRANTY
CVSNVT69002
3 YEAR WARRANTY

<tbody>
</tbody>

In the example tables you will see that I have filled in correct extracted text for three cells, and the other would remain blank (other formulas extract the currently blank text). With column R, row 1 and 4 (Current table) the cells match BoTH the part text CVSNVT AND the text in the 'O' column of their row EXACTLY matches with a cell in column G of the third table. Therefore for R1 and R4 I apply the INDEX MATCH formula to extract this information from column J of the third table. In the case of column R row 2 (Current) the part text CVSNVT does match, but the text in the 'O' column of their row does not match EXACTLY with a cell in column G of the third table. Therefore, the IF FALSE part of the equation is applied and the words "90 day warranty" are added. With Column R row 3 the text in column 'O' (of spreadsheet 1 or 2 - doesn't matter I think) is not a part match for "CVSNVT", and therefore nothing should be done in that cell.

The formula I constructed is below. However, it does not work and i really cannot figure out why.

=IF(isnumber(search("CVSNVT",'ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2)),AND(ISERROR(VLOOKUP('ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2,'Updated SKU Price Quantity'!$G$2:$G$50000,1,FALSE))),"90 Day Warranty",INDEX('Updated SKU Price Quantity'!$J$2:$J$50000,MATCH('ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2,'Updated SKU Price Quantity'!$G$2:$G$50000,0)))

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate a solution as it is holding up everything else I need to create!

Thank you in advance.
Emile

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi

I think you're close with your current formula. You want the AND() to wrap the first two arguments, as it doesn't work like English where you say "A and B", in Excel you have to say "AND(A,B)". You can also slightly adjust the logic as follows:

Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CVSNVT",'ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2)),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2,'Updated SKU Price Quantity'!$G$2:$G$50000,0)), INDEX('Updated SKU Price Quantity'!$J$2:$J$50000,MATCH('ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2,'Updated SKU Price Quantity'!$G$2:$G$50000,0)),"90 Day Warranty")

I've slightly changed the ordering, as in this instance I'm saying if the MATCH() is a number, do the INDEX(MATCH()), otherwise return "90 Day Warranty". I've also omitted using an AND, instead opting for what's called a 'nested if'. This means I'm using two sets of if statements (in this instance) to determine which outcome I want based on several true/false checks. It works like this: IF(first test is true, IF(second test is true, do this [both are true], otherwise do this [first is true, second is false]), otherwise do this [both are false])

Note that you can also use =COUNTIF('ALL SUPPLIERS FINAL BEFORE DELE'!O2,"*CVSNVT*") to check if the cell contains that string: if it returns a 1 or higher it contains the string. This means you can plug it into the IF() argument without any modifier (as any number over 1 is considered TRUE and a 0 is considered FALSE).

Hope that helps - let me know if it still isn't working.

Mackers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cross-posted here: IF ISNUMBER SEARCH AND ISERROR VLOOKUP INDEX MATCH in formula - out of my depth ;)
and here: if isnumber search and iserror vlookup index match - used together.

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule #13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
Hi Mackers,

Thanks for the solution! I was a bit concerned that it returns 'FALSE' when "CVSNVT" isn't present (rather than just blank. But when I add in other IF formulas (using CONCATENATE) to provide rules for other cells it isn't adding FALSE to their solution text, which is perfect. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgsrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back