#REF! Error I can't seem to understand

krispykreme

Hi,

The code below worked successfully on the initial trial. On the second trial, where I used 2 different workbooks (in data range identical to initial workbooks except for data values), the output keeps coming out as "#REF!". I've been staring at it for ages and can't seem to work out what the issue is, it worked on the first trial, and the only thing I altered in the code in second trial is workbook names. Code as below:

Code:
Sub Comments()

Dim WBNEW As Workbook 'current week's workbook
Dim WBOLD As Workbook 'previous week's workbook
Dim WSNEW As Worksheet 'current week's worksheet
Dim WSOLD As Worksheet 'previous week's worksheet
Dim WSOLDR As Range

'Open all relevant workbooks also make them macro enabled?
Set WBNEW = Workbooks("HPD10.xlsm") '<--------change name of current week's workbook
Set WBOLD = Workbooks("HPD9.xlsm") '<--------change name of previous week's workbook
Set WSNEW = WBNEW.Worksheets("Open cases") 'change if relevant worksheet has different name
Set WSOLD = WBOLD.Worksheets("Open cases") 'change if relevant worksheet has different name
Set StartCell = WSOLD.Range("A1")

LastRow = WSOLD.Cells(WSOLD.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row 'count last row
LastColumn = WSOLD.Cells(1, WSOLD.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column 'count last column
Set WSOLDR = WSOLD.Range(StartCell, WSOLD.Cells(LastRow, LastColumn))

Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To WSNEW.Rows.Count 'loops i from 1 to the last row in WSNEW which is counted
    If WSNEW.Cells(i, 1).Value <> "" Then 'if value of cells is NOT BLANK
    WSNEW.Cells(i, 37).Value = Application.VLookup(WSNEW.Cells(i, 1).Value, WSOLDR, 37, False) 'Assign each vlookup to a cell in WSNEW
    WSNEW.Cells(i, 38).Value = Application.VLookup(WSNEW.Cells(i, 1).Value, WSOLDR, 38, False)
    WSNEW.Cells(i, 39).Value = Application.VLookup(WSNEW.Cells(i, 1).Value, WSOLDR, 39, False)
    WSNEW.Cells(i, 40).Value = Application.VLookup(WSNEW.Cells(i, 1).Value, WSOLDR, 40, False)
    End If
Next i

MsgBox ("Transfer Complete! =)") 'popup textbox indicating code finished running

End Sub

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
double count column number,I would use Loop instead of vlookup and its more dynamic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that!! I had been counting the columns before but didn't notice that the last column being counted was blank!

For future reference, how would I go about using Loop rather than vlookup?

Upvote 0
For future reference, how would I go about using Loop rather than vlookup?
Firstly, I would not automatically accept that looping would be better than VLOOKUP. The best method would depend on particular circumstances including how big (row count) the lookup table is, whether the looping is to be done through worksheet cells, or through values held in an array in memory etc.

In any case, I'm not sure what the following means in relation to looping
.. its more dynamic.

Another option instead of using the application/worksheet function vlookup in your code, would be to use vba's native Find method. My earlier comment about the best option depending on particular circumstances holds for this alternative too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back