Number of bedrooms calculation

pierre robinson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All.

Apologies for the title - couldn't think how else to phrase it.

I have been given the following set of guidelines & can work out some of the variable, but am stumped around the code to work out mixed ages and sexes -
The Canadian National Occupancy Standard assesses the bedroom requirements of a household based on the following criteria:

• There should be no more than two persons per bedroom;
  • Children less than 5 years of age of different sexes may reasonably share a bedroom;
  • Children 5 years of age or older of opposite sex should have separate bedrooms;
  • Children less than 18 years of age and of the same sex may reasonably share a bedroom; and
  • Single household members 18 years or over should have a separate bedroom, as should parents or couples.

Here is where I am up to:

Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Can't help but think about the Showtime series "Shameless"!

Pierre, Welcome to the forum. Would you be able to describe your layout? Maybe what kind of data is in each column, how many rows, etc? (In my signature, there's a link for the HTML Maker add-in for posting examples to the forum) or at a minimum, copy and paste row 1 to the thread.

Upvote 0
I spent a little time noodling on this problem. It's not terrible, but it is pretty difficult to come up with a concise formula. Here's how I approached it:

ABCDEFGHI
1CouplesSingles over 18Girls >5Boys >5Girls<5Boys<5Minimum rooms
3Pairs11108
4Remainders1111
6IndexPossible combinations of the remaindersHow many rooms are needed

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet3

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
D3=INT(D2/2)
E3=INT(E2/2)
F3=INT(F2/2)
G3=INT(G2/2)
D4=MOD(D2,2)
E4=MOD(E2,2)
F4=MOD(F2,2)
G4=MOD(G2,2)
I2=A2+B2+D3+E3+F3+G3+VLOOKUP(D4*8+E4*4+F4*2+G4,A7:I22,9)
I3=A2+B2+D3+E3+F3+G3+CHOOSE(D4*8+E4*4+F4*2+G4+1,0,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,1,2,1,2,2,2,2,2)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

In A2 put the number of couples, and in B2 the number of singles over 18. These all must have a room each. Now in D2 through G2, put the number of individuals that apply to each category. Now divide each number by 2 (row 3), and put the remainder in row 4. Now the numbers in row 3 must all get a room each, because 2 per room is maximum.

Now comes the tricky part. Depending on the remainders, we may require from 0 to 2 additional rooms, depending on age and gender. I compiled a list of every combination of remainders, and the number of rooms necessary. Using this, I actually created formulas that would calculate the number of rooms, but they were complicated. I decided that it was simpler to just look up the value. The formula in I2 does just that, it creates an index number from the remainders, then looks it up in the table. If you don't actually want the table, it can be incorporated into the formula, like in I3.

There's probably a neater way to do this, and if someone comes up with it, I'd like to see it.

Let us know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for.

Upvote 0
Can't help but think about the Showtime series "Shameless"!

Pierre, Welcome to the forum. Would you be able to describe your layout? Maybe what kind of data is in each column, how many rows, etc? (In my signature, there's a link for the HTML Maker add-in for posting examples to the forum) or at a minimum, copy and paste row 1 to the thread.

Thanking you.

At this point, what Eric W posted is about what I have - Im trying to give a bunch of tenancy managers a tool they can use to quickly calculate how many bedrooms are needed for a family.

Interdependant AdultsDependant adults/subleasorMale
<=5
Female
<=5
Male >5<=18Female >5<=18Aged or DisabilityNumber of Bedrooms reqd

<tbody>
</tbody>

And like I said, I can work out the vast majority of the code, its just the interdependence when children of different sexes and ages are mixed, based on that Canadian standard.

Upvote 0
Thanks Eric.

I am now going to have to work through your formula to figure out how it works :)

Upvote 0
Let me know if you have any questions. I've looked at it a few times since I posted, and it gets clearer the more you look at it. The tricky part is how to handle unpaired children of different ages and genders. Look at the 16 possible combinations I listed in rows 7-22 and convince yourself that the number of rooms needed makes sense. I came up with a slightly different way to look at it, but I'll save that if you have questions.

Upvote 0
Let me know if you have any questions. I've looked at it a few times since I posted, and it gets clearer the more you look at it. The tricky part is how to handle unpaired children of different ages and genders. Look at the 16 possible combinations I listed in rows 7-22 and convince yourself that the number of rooms needed makes sense. I came up with a slightly different way to look at it, but I'll save that if you have questions.

OK, its going to take a couple of days to work things through.
I got up to here:

IFERROR(SUM(ROUNDUP(A2/2,0),B2,(ROUNDUP((SUM(C2,E2,D2,F2)/2),0))),"0")&IF(G2="y","S","")

But it needs development around mixed typologies (and the S is for special i.e. aged or disabled)

All good fun until someone starts crying...

Cheers from New Zealand...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asp123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back