32 bit VBA on 64 bit pc

Tim_Excel_

Hi forum

I have written my macro on a 32 bit pc. I've added
Code:
#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal ms As LongPtr)
#Else
    Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal ms As Long)
#End If
in order to try and stop excel from asking for a PtrSafe attribute whenever the macro is executed on a 64 bit pc. However, these lines of code simply disappear whenever the file is opened on a 64 bit pc.

Is there any way I can make my file good to go on a 64 bit pc? Could I for example safe it on a 64 bit pc?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Code:
#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal ms As LongPtr)
#Else
    Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal ms As Long)
#End If

Greetings,

I would first try changing dwMilliseconds back to a Long as I do not believe it to be a pointer (just how many thousandths of a second you want it to sleep.

Code:
Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" Alias "Sleep" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

The above is from 'Win32API_PtrSafe.TXT' which I am fairly certain I downloaded from MSDN.

Hop that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
in order to try and stop excel from asking for a PtrSafe attribute whenever the macro is executed on a 64 bit pc. However, these lines of code simply disappear whenever the file is opened on a 64 bit pc.

Is there any way I can make my file good to go on a 64 bit pc? Could I for example safe it on a 64 bit pc?

Thanks in advance

Actually in re-reading your question, I am a bit confused. Windows (presumably what you mean by '64 bit pc') being 64-bit doesn't change what is conditionally compiled; it is whether Excel is installed in 64-bit mode.

Upvote 0
GTO,

As I am not very familiar (read: I don't have a clue) with these type of codes, I am really prone to confusing people.

Looking back at the code I posted in my original comment, it seems very specific. Does it even do what I want it to do? It looks as if it is made for a very specific type of VBA code.
I think you're right about the 64 bit excel part. My colleague recently had his laptop back with some new software, claiming everything was 64 bit now. Since I am still working on a 32 bit system, I can't execute the code I made on my laptop on his laptop right away without encountering error popups.

Code:
Private Declare Function apiShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" ( _
ByVal hwnd As Long, _
ByVal lpOperation As String, _
ByVal lpFile As String, _
ByVal lpParameters As String, _
ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
ByVal nShowCmd As Long) _
As Long

Private Sub PrintFile(ByVal strPathAndFilename As String)

Call apiShellExecute(Application.hwnd, "print", strPathAndFilename, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)

End Sub

This is the piece of code Excel starts complaining about. I figure it musn't be too hard to make this work on a 64 bit Excel version. However, having close to zero knowledge about this, I just can't seem to figure it out.

Upvote 0
Does it even do what I want it to do? It looks as if it is made for a very specific type of VBA code.

I am afraid I wouldn't know what you want to do. You showed a declaration for the Sleep API and now a snippet of code that presumably prints a file using the ShellExecuteA API. What are you trying to do and can you show us your code?

I think you're right about the 64 bit excel part. My colleague recently had his laptop back with some new software, claiming everything was 64 bit now. Since I am still working on a 32 bit system, I can't execute the code I made on my laptop on his laptop right away without encountering error popups.

Code:
Private Declare Function apiShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" ( _
ByVal hwnd As Long, _
ByVal nShowCmd As Long) _
As Long

Private Sub PrintFile(ByVal strPathAndFilename As String)

Call apiShellExecute(Application.hwnd, "print", strPathAndFilename, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)

End Sub

This is the piece of code Excel starts complaining about. I figure it musn't be too hard to make this work on a 64 bit Excel version. However, having close to zero knowledge about this, I just can't seem to figure it out.

I would suggest you look and see definitively how Excel is installed in both your PC and your friend's laptop before going any further. At least for me, in Excel 2010, I can go to the file tab, select Help, and under About Microsoft Excel, it shows the version number (14.0.71......) and '(32-bit), which means that although Excel 2010 can be installed in 64-bit, my copy is installed in the default mode of 32-bit.

This should work for 64-bit.

Rich (BB code):
Declare PtrSafe Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _
                  Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As LongPtr, _
                                         ByVal nShowCmd As Long _
                                         ) As LongPtr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
GTO,

Forget about the declaration for the Sleep API, it was something I had found online and I had not realised it didn't apply to my code. I am trying to print files, for which I am using the code I posted.

I checked, and my colleague is running a 64 bit version of Excel whereas I am running on a 32 bit version. We're both using Excel 2013

I had already tried integrating the PtrSafe attribute before saving the file and sending it to my colleague. I thought that this would work, but when I open the file on my colleague's laptop, the PtrSafe attribute simply has disappeared. I'm guessing Excel does this as a preventive method, but of course this limits me in sharing the file with my colleagues of which some have a 64 bit excel..

Oh man.

Upvote 0
I have no way of testing in 64-bit Excel, but I think this should work.

In a Standard Module:

Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

#If VBA7 Then
Declare PtrSafe Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _
                  Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As LongPtr, _
                                         ByVal nShowCmd As Long _
                                         ) As LongPtr

#Else
Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _
          Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, _
                                 ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
#End If

Const SW_HIDE = 0&
Const SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1&

Sub example(ByVal FullFileName As String)
#If VBA7 Then
Dim lRet As LongPtr
#Else
Dim lRet As Long
#End If

lRet = ShellExecute(Application.hWnd, "print", FullFileName, vbNullChar, vbNullChar, SW_HIDE)
  Debug.Print lRet
End Sub

Sub callExampe()
  example "I:\TRAVELDRIVE02\TRAVELDRIVE\_Weekend\TempVBAX\vbax 43809 (Unlock VBE)\ReferenceOtherProject\clsBoolean.txt"
End Sub

Use the immediate window to see if a handle or error value is returned.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Excel should never remove the PtrSafe code - and I have never heard of it doing so. Are you sure you sent the correct version of the file?

Upvote 0
Rory,

I was wondering the same thing.. But I literally saved the file, then went to my email and selected the file. Also it's not that this happened once, I had it happen every time I tried adding PtrSafe.

I wonder if Excel is contemplating against me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piaskun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back