Password Protected Excel Macro Becomes Fully Visible in Open Office

Rene Karolyi

Hi!

I have invested a lot of time and considerable effort to compose and program a quite complex technical application for my customers. I have taken all necessary steps, to avoid the user and of cause competitors from looking behind the scenes by using some of the techniques I learned through this very forum :) and by password protecting the VBA code.
Now, quite by chance I discovered that, if my spreadsheet application is opened with Open Office the VBA code becomes exposed without Open Office even asking for the password to be supplied :oops:. Just like that. From this I understand, that MS Excel does not encrypt the VBA code at all. :confused: Quite a serious security flaw as I see it!
Is there something that can be done to avoid this issue to happen and that keeps the code invisible if the password is not supplied?
It is really crucial! I will very much appreciate any help from your side!
Thank you in advance
Rene

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
In my case I have a lot of old vba macros with me which were created by employees who are no longer in the organisation. The modules are password protected so although I can see the the entire vba codes in Open Office but I'm unable to locate the actual password to unlock the modules in MS Excel.

Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid it is against forum rules to assist with any sort of circumvention of security measures.

Upvote 0
hi,
i think that the only way is to make .xlam open-libre office cannot bypass its protection.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieDP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back