Word Mail Merge Problem - is it a bug?

DebbyG

Board Regular
I have an excel spreadsheet which I am running a mail merge from. All fields are setup in the correct format, i.e. western date & currency

When I run the mail merge in Word, it pulls through the date format in US, i.e. mm/dd/yy rather than dd/mm/yy.

It is also pulling through the value field as numbers and not currency.

I heard talk this could be a bug, but would anyone out there know about how to fix this problem please as it's causing me a major headache.

Very many thanks

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi Debbie,

It's not a bug - it's just the way some mailmerge connection types work. Here's a series of simple fixes:

Mailmerge Number & Currency Formatting
In Word, add a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
. select the field;
. press Ctrl-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
. edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# $,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
. run your mailmerge.

Note: The '\# $0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
. \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
. \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
. \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
. \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
. \# $,0.00;($,0.00);- for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

The precision of the displayed value is controilled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# $,0.00;($,0.00);) zero values will be suppressed. Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.

Mailmerge Percentage Formatting
In Word, add a formula and numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
. select your mergefield, which will look something like «Percent»;
. press Ctrl-F9 to wrap another field around it, thus - { «Percent» };
. edit the field so that you get {=«Percent»*100 \# 0.00%};
. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it.

Note: the precision of the displayed value is controilled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

Mailmerge Date Formatting

To get the date format you want, you can add a formatting picture switch. In Word:
. select the mergefield;
. press Shift-F9 to expose the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyDate} where 'MyDate' is your mergefield's name;
. delete anything appearing after the mergefield's name and add '\@ "d MMMM yyyy"' to the field, as in {MERGEFIELD MyDate \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}. With this switch your date will come out as '2 August 2008'. Other possible date formatting switches include:
. \@ "dddd, d MMMM yyyy";
. \@ "ddd, d MMMM yyyy";
. \@ "d MMM yyyy";
. \@ "dd/MMM/yyyy";
. \@ "d-MM-yy";
Note: you must use uppercase 'M's for months.
. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it.

As you can see, the above gives you the flexibility to define outputs formats for your mailmerge that differ from the source data fomats - if that's what you'd like to do. When you're done, run your mailmerge.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, that's such a fantastic reply.

So much information and very easy to follow.

Very much appreciated.

:))

Upvote 0
This post is awesome! A Google search lead me to this site.

I wanted to jump in and say THANK YOU! I've been fighting with Word for 3 hours and your information was VERY helpful!!!

-Jake :biggrin:
Florida, USA

Upvote 0
Note: The '\# $0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
. \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
. \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
. \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
. \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
. \# $,0.00;($,0.00);- for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

I used the one bolded, but there is one issue here - if you number are from 0 to 1.000.000 (i.e. sometimes are bigger than 1.000, but sometimes smaller), the problem with the numbers that are smaller than 1.000 is that the thousand separator still exists - it means that, instead of let's say 454,39 you see .454,39. How to overcome this problem? Thanks in advance for the reply and sorry for refreshing, but I didn't want to create a new topic for such a small issue.

Upvote 0
The issue for you is that your regional settings require the '.' and ',' to be reversed. Do that and the problem should be solved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gkiller

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back