PivotTable vs. Formulas

Stoner7Matt

I'm building a template to do a basic margin calculation on 20,000 rows of data. What advantages would there being either a Pivot Table or Formula in your experience. What is the most efficient?

I personally like Pivot Tables but I need to talk my supervisor into using them over sumifs.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
hi,

Suggest you describe the specific situation. Without knowing what is being done, my guess is that a pivot table is more efficient and offers simpler & better functionality.

Is the data in the same file as the template doing the calculation? Cause if the data is in a database, text file, csv file, etc then obviously the pivot table would be preferred. Avoids filling Excel with 20,000 records.

FWIW, I never use SUMIFS and work most days with datasets exceeding 50,000 records: queries and database type approaches, like pivot tables, are great for this. Formulas are not. If using formulas, how do you create the entries to sum against? Via formulas over huge ranges is slow. Best to work entirely without formulas (so no formulas in workbook) in my experience.

If an option for you, what about using Access?

cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back