Moving Excel FROM XP to Windows 10 - How To Auto Update Source Documents

NeedsHelpPlease

I am a non-techie so spelling things out really helps.

Problem:
Transferring Excel files from XP to Windows 10 results in broken links between workbooks. (From: "c:\documents and setting" To "c:\users")
> The Excel files are too large and there are too many links for "Find & Replace" within each document.
> There are too many files for "Edit Links > Change Source > Browse for new source" A manual change would take forever.
> The software ExcelPipe (Change OLE/DDE links) may work but it is very expensive for an individual.

Question:
Given the above, does anyone else know how to solve the problem above? (Step by step ideally)

Help would be greatly appreciated.

NHP

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
If you transfer the files in such a way that the relative path between them remains the same, there should be no need to update any links.

Upvote 0
If you transfer the files in such a way that the relative path between them remains the same, there should be no need to update any links.

Thanks Macropod, Do you have a suggestion on how to do this? This is what I have tried:
a) Same User Name.
b) Same folder names.
c) Copy folders as is and drop them in.

In this case everything is the same except Windows 10 "Users" versus "Documents and Settings". What can I do differently to keep those links?

Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to do anything. As I said, what matters is the relative path, not the absolute path. If the source file was in:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Documents\Attachments\Temp\
and the destination file was in:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Documents\
the relative path between them was:
Attachments\Temp\

If the files are now in:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Attachments\Temp
and:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\
the relative path is unchanged. It's still:
Attachments\Temp

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to do anything. As I said, what matters is the relative path, not the absolute path. If the source file was in:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Documents\Attachments\Temp\
and the destination file was in:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Documents\
the relative path between them was:
Attachments\Temp\

If the files are now in:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Attachments\Temp
and:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\
the relative path is unchanged. It's still:
Attachments\Temp

I wish this was the case for myself. I have certainly not changed any folders and the links have broken. The only solution that seems to work... slowly... is an expensive after market software that updates the OLE/DDE links to the new path. If I do not do this, the Edit Links > Source path reads the old "Documents and Setting" path and the file won't update. Do you have any thoughts as to why this may be?

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I wish this was the case for myself. I have certainly not changed any folders and the links have broken. The only solution that seems to work... slowly... is an expensive after market software that updates the OLE/DDE links to the new path. If I do not do this, the Edit Links > Source path reads the old "Documents and Setting" path and the file won't update. Do you have any thoughts as to why this may be?

Any ideas?
You should be able to edit the links quite easily by opening any of the affected workbooks, choosing 'Don't Update' or 'Cancel', depending on which dialogue box appears when prompted to update the links, then using Find/Replace to edit the offending parts of the link paths in bulk. If there are many files to update, the process could be automated with VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
easperhe29

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back