Excel File Protection through Macro?

sirmixalot

Hi guys,

Long story short - bullied at work by both coworkers, boss, and HR.

Would like your advice on ensuring the excel files I created are only able to be opened by me i.e. my physical presence. I also want my excel files to be hard to access when provided to someone else whether via email or dropped into a usb drive in front of them.

Any assistance is appreciated on this. Sorry if it seems fishy, it's the best I can do under the circumstances. Please refrain from giving me other advice as that would make it off-topic.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Frankly, you can't do this with macros. The only vaguely secure protection you can put on a workbook is the password to open it, which encrypts the file, but even that can generally be decrypted using online services.

Also, if you created these macros at work, or using company resources, the intellectual property most likely belongs to them legally, so you wouldn't be doing yourself any favours trying to do this (even if I understand the sentiment).

Upvote 0
Also, if you created these macros at work, or using company resources, the intellectual property most likely belongs to them legally, so you wouldn't be doing yourself any favours trying to do this (even if I understand the sentiment).

Excellent Point there - not doing myself any favors :)
I will just make do that I can create good reports and hone my excel skills. Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back