Mail merge macro with unique URLs

mrhk22

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member and relatively unsophisticated with macros. Would appreciate any pointers...

Situation: I've been setting up an online survey and the plan is to email ~500 of our company's clients with an invitation that will feature a unique link for each recipient. I have been told at the last minute that it is not permitted to upload clients' email addresses into the vendor's system without undergoing a very lengthy vendor review process. The workaround is that I can enter a unique number instead of email addresses and use the vendor's system to generate 500 unique links (which we can then map back on our side to identify the respondent). So I suppose what I need to do is to prepare a mail merge macro that will generate an Outlook message containing i) client's name, ii) unique URL, iii) corresponding sales person's email in CC field.

Can anyone suggest the correct approach, or point me towards a (dummy-friendly) resource?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
An ordinary mailmerge can be used to insert a unique link for each recipient. If the document is being sent as an attachment, you can even customize the hyperlink display text (hyperlinks and emails alike use hyperlink fields in Word). To see how, check out the Mailmerge Hyperlink ‘Click Here’ Insertion topic at Mailmerge Tips & Tricks. No code required. What isn't apparent from your post is where the vendor's system comes into play or why it's needed at the merge stage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the feedback. It does seem that an ordinary mailmerge works, except that it doesn't seem possible to include a CC field as part of the merge. Also when testing, the correct URL displayed in messages when received, however they were not clickable. Not sure if this is a function of the email client I was using (Thunderbird) or something that should be done when sending.

An ordinary mailmerge can be used to insert a unique link for each recipient. If the document is being sent as an attachment, you can even customize the hyperlink display text (hyperlinks and emails alike use hyperlink fields in Word). To see how, check out the Mailmerge Hyperlink ‘Click Here’ Insertion topic at Mailmerge Tips & Tricks. No code required. What isn't apparent from your post is where the vendor's system comes into play or why it's needed at the merge stage.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back