practice exercise for learning VBA

delbian

Hi, I've been trying to learn VBA from books because I have no practical way to develop my skill (eg. work problems).
I have a good understanding of the theory, language, etc... but am just not picking it up.
I think the only way is to 'do it' by solving problems.

Can anyone suggest where to find a resource of practice exercises (and solutions), starting with simple things?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi there, and welcome to the board!

You've found it!! Start by trying to help people, or checking others solutions. At least that was the best way for me. Plus you get to give back to people! :)

Hi, and welcome to the board
The board is always a good source of help for coed and code based solutions, but I have found the best way to learn is to get a building type book.
That is, as you read through the book it provides code examples to write.
Don't get into the habit of shortcutting and copying and pasting because you won't learn anything that way.
I started with a book called "Excel Programming" by Jinjer Simon.
Having said all that I still have to come to the board for my more "advanced" stuff, but I think my skill is improving.

HTH
Michael M

Well said VoG II. If you haven't failed, you haven't tried. ;)

I learned by simply recording actions and then looking at what it was doing. You can soon work out what bits are redundant and can be removed, from there you will be able to work out that you no longer need to select cells to manipulate them.

After that you will be hungry for more, places like here are great, grab other peoples code snippets and pull it apart, get your hands dirty :).

I greatly enhanced my VBA skill by finding unanswered posts in the Excel questions Forum on this board. Even though, as said above, others might answer before you have a solution, keep at it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My experience working with others on the board was that my solutions were often easier for the other beginners to understand because I only understood the simplest concepts in VBA, and I would brute force everything to work. But I learned the simpler, more efficient methods by tearing apart the code written by the board experts - it gave me something to compare my methods to, ultimately making me a better coder.<o:p></o:p>
Take care,<o:p></o:p>
Owen<o:p></o:p>

A great tool is to have the code window open on the side with the main Excel window also showing. Then, as you step throught the code you can "watch" what happens with each line executing.

Another great way is to record a macrto and then go and examine the code that the recorder generated. It is not always the most effcient code but a great way to learn the syntax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back