Natural disasters at your place?

diddi

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Last year I got flooded in at home for 9 days, and on sunday a 12600 acre bushfire came to within a km of my place. Its all a bit much really!

How has Mother Nature treated others around the world?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
In the past 5 years, I've had a flash flood at my house, a 5.1 mag earthquake centered 15 miles away, tornadoes within 15 miles, blizzards, freezing rain, temps over 100F and under -10F, and a derecho. I should move, but it's the only excitement in my life.

Last edited:
It has been a rough winter here in the States. Lots of unusually cold weather and storms. Us Northeners are used to it and are doing okay, but Southern places not used to the snow and ice are having a harder time of it, like the city of Atlanta that was brought to its knees a few weeks ago by a few inches of snow, and are getting an ice storm now: Southeast shivers, slides under winter storm - CNN.com

One eerie but cool thing I experienced for the first time this year was "thundersnow". It is a pretty freaky thing to drive through after dark. You don't except to see lightning when driving in snowy white-out conditions.

One eerie but cool thing I experienced for the first time this year was "thundersnow". It is a pretty freaky thing to drive through after dark. You don't except to see lightning when driving in snowy white-out conditions.
Yep, we had thundersnow here too. Scared the bejesus out of me. An unbelievably bright flash (amplified, I'm sure, by all the white snow) followed by an earth-shaking rumble. Then again, I don't think I'm that far away from Joe4.

Then again, I don't think I'm that far away from Joe4.
I actually experienced it driving along Route 90 just south of Buffalo, right next to Lake Erie.
They say that it is very rare because the air is usually not humid enough for thunder/lightning in the winter. I guess it needs just the right combination of mixed weather fronts and a big body of unfrozen water to pick up the needed moisture. Hence, I guess the Great Lakes is one of the most common places for such occurrences.

And I know that Ohio is on Lake Erie too!;)

never seen or heard of thundersnow, but sounds intimidating if you are driving. aus. has been unseasonally hot this summer with many days over 100F in a row, and hence the fires (particularly in the southern part of the continent. we are relatively free of earthquakes here as we lie near the centre of a continental plate.

UK floods getting airplay on aus. news services. thames has broken its banks I see. get those Wellies out chaps!

In the past 5 years, I've had a flash flood at my house, a 5.1 mag earthquake centered 15 miles away, tornadoes within 15 miles, blizzards, freezing rain, temps over 100F and under -10F, and a derecho. I should move, but it's the only excitement in my life.

Gotta love Ohio weather. Can be 60F one day and two days later it can be back into the single digits. :biggrin:

Gotta love Ohio weather. Can be 60F one day and two days later it can be back into the single digits
I think you can say that for pretty much all of the Northeast!
I can remember having temperatures in the 70Fs and snow in the same week here in NY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back