Excel 2016

Brian from Maui

MrExcel MVP
Thinking of purchasing Excel 2016. Any comments from those that already have purchased 2016?

Trying to upgrade from 2003..........

Thanks!

And SAFE & PROSPEROUS NEW YEARS from Maui!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I'd also be interested to hear from anyone with working experience of the new suite! I'm still rocking 2010, which is pretty solid!

Thinking of purchasing Excel 2016. Any comments from those that already have purchased 2016?

Happy New Year, Brian!

Long time no hear! How's the handicap these days? It better be down to about 75 by now! I think I'm up to about 225, but here those **** white balls get lost in the snow! :)

Regarding 2016, it really depends on what you want to do. If 2003 does what you need (and you're not up to having an entirely frustrating experience learning the whole new Ribbon interface) then I'd stay away.

If you're up for some really cool stuff, like the ability to build charts with Bing Maps directly in Excel (like where in the islands all your golf courses are and their pars - and how much you've spent on each ;)), or Power Pivot/Power Query, etc., then I'd totally go for it. But it is a very frustrating transition, especially from the normal File menu interface that we were used to using.

The Ribbon aside, Excel has grown a lot: 1MM+ rows and 16,000 columns, so you can now use it like a database with absolutely no fear of Excel crashing (OK, I'm just being an A$$ there)...64+ levels of IF statements and Conditional Formatting, which is a great idea (OK, I'm just being an A$$ there too)...Seriously, there is a whole lot of cool stuff, but it still acts like the old time Excel, so what do you need to do?

Now to more painful things:

You will need to think about which delivery route you want to go: Excel 2016 as a stand-alone product or Office 2016 (as the suite - and if you want Home/Student/Pro/Pro +/Alien, etc.), which are one-time purchases, or go with Office 365 which is subscription based (monthly/annually), but constantly updated and allows you to install on up to 5 devices (including MACS). Unfortunately with 365, you still need to figure out which service level (aka "Version") you want, and MS doesn't make it easy to figure out what's best for you - But they do have a live chat where you can ask. In fact, I did just that and asked for you and they suggested Office 365 Personal (that'll make a fun blog post :))...

The 365 subscription has access to your own Sharepoint site, which is pretty cool and MS has done a really good job of making it user friendly (but most people will never find it). Frankly, as much as I hated the new Ribbon versions of Office (and the whole 365 thing), I'm pretty much a 365 fan now. It's just too **** hard to explain because MS does such a crap job of making things easy to understand.

All giving MS crap aside, I'm a real fan of 2016 and they've got some really smart folks on the Excel team (it's the marketing people who are freaking idiots). I'd go for it if you need all the new stuff, but if 2003 works for you then I'd stay the hell away.

(But 2016 is really cool)...

Edit: I forgot linked Pivot Table sources (read: database relationships, so no more VLOOKUPs to build a master), Slicers, Timeline Slicers, etc.

If you're a Dashboarding person then GO FOR IT, if you're balancing your checkbook, then probably not.

Smitty

Last edited:
Aloha Smitty

Took the plunge and bought the home version. Totally different interface. At my age, '97 would have sufficed! :ROFLMAO:

Wowza that's quite a hop. The ribbon is going to drive you nuts!

For my money, 2010 is still the best balance of features vs stability. The only thing that I really miss from the later versions is being able to easily use multiple monitors but that seems to have brought its own pile of headaches.

I'm using Excel 2013 and I like the ribbon.
I've been using Excel since the 1980's and upgraded every time a new version has been out about a year.
Is the Ribbon in Excel 2016 different from 2013.
When I looked at this site the ribbon looks similar to 2013
Excel 2016 | Ribbons,Tabs and Quick Access Toolbar

Is the Ribbon in Excel 2016 different from 2013.

Not really. I'd say the biggest change is on the Data tab where PowerPivot has been rolled into a single Manage Data Model button, and the Get & Transform options for Power Query. The Get External Data options are still there, but will likely go away in v.Next.

On the Insert tab Power View has been replaced with Power Map (3D Map).

Took the plunge and bought the home version. Totally different interface. At my age, '97 would have sufficed! :ROFLMAO:

Have fun with that!

One thing you'll want to do if you plan on using VBA is to goto File-->Options-->Customize the Ribbon-->On the right-hand side click the "Developer" button. That will load the Developer tab on the Ribbon. Otherwise it will be hidden.

For my money, 2010 is still the best balance of features vs stability.
Amen. I looked forward in high anticipation to Excel 2007 for two years. Aside from the trauma of the Ribbon, it was miserably unstable, and had the worst Help ever. I believe Excel 2010 is what Excel 2007 had hoped to be, and am delighted with it.

My youngest uses and likes Excel 2013, but it's the version she had when she started to become a power user, so she doesn't really know any different. The CPU cycles wasted on eye candy are appalling.

I'm thinking 2016 is unlikely to be an improvement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back