Practically writing a project for people...

gallen

Wondered what some if your thoughts are on this.

I've used this forum to learn and recently I've been using it to teach, helping out where I can (which in turn is a great learning tool for me as I'm solving problems I haven't come across yet)

I have no issue helping people out with broken code, even suggesting code for a problem they can't quite fathom.

However, there are a few people in the forums that just give you the situation and expect you to write the fully tested code for them. In essence over time they get a bespoke solution for nothing. I've helped a few with some code I was even proud of myself but with little more than a thank you, they get a great service!

You see people posting multiple threads all based around a workbook(s) they are trying to create/improve so they can get a solution that has taken me months and months to learn how to do.

What prompted this was, I received a paypal payment for £6 out of the blue, as a 'thank you' from a guy I'd spent the time to solve his issue for him. Just with a note saying get a drink on me and thanks for your help. I was made up and actually bought the drink and **** well enjoyed it with a smile on my face.

I don't make a living in anyway from VBA/Excel (I'm a planner for a flooring manufacturers) so how do you guys that do make a living from it, feel about this?

I've learned to stay away from those guys who are obviously expecting it and even get quite short when you struggle to understand / solve their issue but wondered how the more experienced members of the forum have dealt with it.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Yes, this site is designed to help people learn, and help them with specific questions/issues. Unfortunately, whether intentionally or not, some people really have no interest in learning and are hoping to have a program/project completed for free. That is not what this site is designed for. I point those people to MrExcels' Consulting Services. Some of our members here also do Consulting work (though I personally do not).

Occasionally, we also sometimes get some people who are looking to learn, but unfortunately are looking to be taught Excel/Access from scratch. The structure of forums like this are really not conducive to a training site.

I often get appreciative people ask me if they can compensate me for work already done. I point them to rule #5 here, and just tell them to try to pay it forward someday, or make a donation to their favorite charity. Obviously, in your instance, you did not request any payment, and none was promised ahead of time, so there was really not much you could do about that.

I used to take on pretty much any VBA question in forums, regardless of complexity, since I usually learned something along the way. These days I don't have the time - or inclination, frankly - to answer questions that are basically "I need this" with no evidence of having tried anything themselves, but I know there are likely to be others that will take them on, just as I used to. Not really much anyone can do about that and I don't think there is anything that should be done in all honesty.

Although you might get a free application from a forum like this, I'd pretty much guarantee it won't be a great one, and not as good as a professional should be able to provide with proper planning, consultation and documentation etc.

We do also have people who are clearly contractors/consultants posting on here when they get stuck, so I'm not sure they could complain too much. ;)

Occasionally, we also sometimes get some people who are looking to learn, but unfortunately are looking to be taught Excel/Access from scratch. The structure of forums like this are really not conducive to a training site.

100% Though I had zero excel knowledge before I started visiting here I had a good knowledge of VB 6 giving me a great starting point for vba. I just knew that the spreadsheets at work could be SO much better and set about learning so I could improve them. My efforts in doing that got me promoted and I still help improve the company's procedures.

Also, as you signature says, I learnt a lot by using the macro recorder even if it does write horrible code, understanding it was the main point then you could make it much clearer.

Just had a read through a couple of the zero replies and this is exactly the type of post I mean:

Macro to print first 2 pages of current sheet as pdf and email

Hey there,

Could someone please help me out with a macro. Need the macro to print out the first 2 pages of the active sheet as a pdf and save in a specified directory.

Could we then have another macro to complete the same as above but then also prepare an email with the pdf attached to the email. The email address to send to is stored in B12 of the active sheet.

We could also have the cc of the email and the body of the email also stored in U7 & U8 of the active sheet.

Thanks so much. This is gonna save me a bunch of time.

Love my mr. excel msg board, complete life saver.

Tim

Even a simple solution like that, to be written by people who have spent their own time and money learning how to do it for no more than thank you...

Having said that I'm guessing few people will reply if any.

What prompted this was, I received a paypal payment for £6 out of the blue, as a 'thank you' from a guy I'd spent the time to solve his issue for him.
In this forum?

Yes. He posted an issue here and it was too complex to do just on forum posts and he sent me his project via email. We got chatting via email over several days and I solved his issue for him, but the inital contact was here. I understand Joe's point and I guess in future I'll return it or ask them to donate it.

Yes. He posted an issue here and it was too complex to do just on forum posts and he sent me his project via email. We got chatting via email over several days and I solved his issue for him, but the inital contact was here. I understand Joe's point and I guess in future I'll return it or ask them to donate it.
So, really forum rules #4 and #5 have been breached here. I disagree with Joe's comment that there wasn't much you could do about the payment - the payment could not have been made without you providing PayPal details to the OP. And the discussion could not have been taken off-forum without you providing your contact details.

I'm not suggesting the fault is all yours but I'm assuming you are a longer-term forum member than the particular OP and therefore should be more likely to be aware of the rules. In future I would suggest that you do not allow the question to be taken off-forum to private email in the first place, per rule #4. If the question is too complex to discuss on-forum then it is too complex for the forum.

Fair point, and he sent it to the email address at paypal.

The only reason he sent me the file by email was because I couldn't get it directly due to firewall restrictions at work.

I am a longer term member but only recently have been answering questions as opposed to asking them.

Points noted. Won't happen again.

So, really forum rules #4 and #5 have been breached here. I disagree with Joe's comment that there wasn't much you could do about the payment - the payment could not have been made without you providing PayPal details to the OP. And the discussion could not have been taken off-forum without you providing your contact details.
At the time I made my comments, I was just working off of this information.
What prompted this was, I received a paypal payment for £6 out of the blue, as a 'thank you' from a guy I'd spent the time to solve his issue for him.
At the time, I had no idea that the question was taken off-forum. And I didn't connect the dots regarding paypal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back