runtime error 3065 Cannot execute a select query

ckib

Board Regular
Hi folks,

Need some help! I'm getting this error:

Run-time error '3065': Cannot execute a select query.

Here is the code:

' if no contacts set for delete, skip the cleanup

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblContact " & _
"WHERE (((tblContact.cont_projectID)='" & strProjectID & "' Or (tblContact.cont_projectID) Is Null) AND ((tblContact.cont_active_status)='D'));"

Set myCountQuery = myDB.CreateQueryDef("", strSQL)

myCountQuery.Execute ' Run temporary QueryDef

Is it the SQL string? I have updated tblContact earlier on in the code, using a DAO recordset, also using a transaction and have definitely commited the updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Okay, I just pulled out my dev guide and see that the execute method is used for an action query. What I was trying to do was create a temp query so that I could count the records using DCount with the query name. I removed the .execute statement and tried to do the DCount:

lngCount = DCount([contactID], "myCountQuery") ' count recs in query

but now get:

Run-time error '2465': Can'f find the field '|' in your expression. I know I must be close, but can't get the syntax right ... or if someone can tell how to accomplish what I'm trying to do, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
working around this by using DAO recordset:

"WHERE (((tblContact.cont_projectID)='" & strProjectID & "' Or (tblContact.cont_projectID) Is Null) AND ((tblContact.cont_active_status)='D'));"

lngCount = 0
Set rsContact = myDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
If rsContact.RecordCount < 1 Then ' no contacts set to delete

But there must be a better way that this!

Upvote 0
I think the DAO Recordset approach is the way to go in this case. You can't use RecordCount until you move to the last record, and where it is null, you will get an error. So you can either (1) check to see that you are not at the end of the recordset -- see below or (2) try to go to the first record. If no error, you're OK. If you get one, trap the error and move on from there. So...

Try replacing

Code:
myCountQuery.Execute ' Run temporary QueryDef
with
Code:
Set rst=myCountQuery.OpenRecordset

If not rst.EOF Then 'Records exist..
   'continue processing
End if
Denis

Upvote 0
Hi Denis,

Thanks for the post. Since I am using a table-type recordset, I believe it is not necessary to move to the end of the recordset before using the recordcount property. The following code appears to work great:

lngCount = 0
Set rsContact = myDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
If rsContact.RecordCount < 1 Then ' no contacts set to delete for this project or not assigned

' write an audit trail message
strMessage = strProjectID & ": No contacts set to delete for this project or unassigned"

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblMessages ( msg_form, msg_date, msg_time, msg_seq_num, msg_contactID, message ) " & _
"VALUES('frmProject', #" & Date & "#, #" & Time & "#, " & lngSeqNum & ", " & lngCount & ", '" & strMessage & "');"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL (strSQL)
DoCmd.SetWarnings True
lngSeqNum = lngSeqNum + 1 ' increment audit sequence number
GoTo CmdCloseProject_update_contacts

End If

lngCount = rsContact.RecordCount

Actually, I don't really care how many records are in the set, only if there are NO records in the set. I guess I could also use .EOF ...

Thanks again! C

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back