Run-time error 3709: The connection cannot be used to perform this operation.

This is a discussion on Run-time error 3709: The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. within the Microsoft Access forums, part of the Question Forums category; "...it is either closed or invalid in this context." I'm trying to run a make-table query through an ADO recordset. ...

Board Regular

Default Run-time error 3709: The connection cannot be used to perform this operation.

"...it is either closed or invalid in this context."

I'm trying to run a make-table query through an ADO recordset. Maybe that's the wrong way to do it... I guess that creating a recordset and making a table are two different things. I was trying to do one, then the other. But I'm getting the error mentioned above. Not sure why.

Code:
    Sub CreateBlahTable()

Dim strsQL As String

Dim cnConnection As ADODB.Connection
    Set cnConnection = New ADODB.Connection

Dim strConnection As String
    strConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;" & _
                    "Data Source=" & "C:\Documents and Settings\My Name Here\My Documents" & "\Database12.accdb;"
    cnConnection.Open strConnection

Dim cmdCommand As ADODB.Command
    Set cmdCommand = New ADODB.Command

Dim rsRecordset As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rsRecordset = New ADODB.Recordset

strsQL = "SELECT Sum(Analyzer.[Revenue Under Goal (Lifetime)]) AS [SumOfRevenue Under Goal (Lifetime)], Analyzer.[End Date], Analyzer.[Order Line], Analyzer.[Order ID], Analyzer.[Confidence Pct], Analyzer.Priority INTO [BLAH SITE REVENUE AT RISK JULY 29 2012]"
    strsQL = strsQL + "FROM Analyzer"
    strsQL = strsQL + "GROUP BY Analyzer.[Internet Site], Analyzer.[End Date], Analyzer.[Order Line], Analyzer.[Order ID], Analyzer.[Confidence Pct], Analyzer.Priority"
    strsQL = strsQL + "HAVING (((Analyzer.[Internet Site])='BLAH SITE') AND ((Sum(Analyzer.[Revenue Under Goal (Lifetime)]))>1000) AND"
    strsQL = strsQL + "((Analyzer.[End Date])>(Date()+7)) AND ((Analyzer.[Confidence Pct])='IO'))"
    strsQL = strsQL + "ORDER BY Sum(Analyzer.[Revenue Under Goal (Lifetime)]) DESC;"

rsRecordset.Open strsQL

End Sub

Board Regular

Default Re: Run-time error 3709: The connection cannot be used to perform this operation.

Hi,

you should replace

Code:
    rsRecordset.Open strsQL
    with

Code:
    cnConnection.Execute strsQL
    Problems are solutions in progress

Board Regular

Default Re: Run-time error 3709: The connection cannot be used to perform this operation.

Thanks.

Upon further reflection, I really don't need a recordset for this at all; I can just use DoCmd.RunSQL. I was working from a book that has exercises focused on forms, but I'm not using forms.