Programming housekeeping help

This is a discussion on Programming housekeeping help within the Microsoft Access forums, part of the Question Forums category; I am somewhat of a hack when it comes to access programming. I can make things happen and do the ...

Board Regular

Default Programming housekeeping help

I am somewhat of a hack when it comes to access programming. I can make things happen and do the things I want through programming if I can't figure away through non-programming methods. Should I be unloading anything / clearing memory at some point in time when I use programming to open and close forms, run queries and some miscellaneous other things.

I am just curious if my below par programming methods will bog down my little database after awhile.

Thanks for the advice.

Greg

Board Regular

Well, without actually looking at your code, I couldn't tell you what you're doing wrong, but I can pretty much assure you that there's almost always more than one way to perform a particular task and the first effort isn't necessarily the best. A couple of things, though:
    -Whenever you change any of your code, make sure to Compile it. Post back if you need instructions.
    -If you ever make Object References, make sure that you destroy the Object once you've finished using it by:
    Code:
    Dim My_Object as Some_Object
    Set My_Object=New Some_Object
    and when finished
    Code:
    Set My_Object=Nothing
    Creating and Destroying objects might be a bit more advanced than your current level, though. Additionally, the Performance Analyzer (Tools->Analyze->Performance) can give you some high-level insight on ways to improve your db.
    I love pants

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others