Access data import query

excel_1317

Board Regular
Is it not possible to import an excel file in access which has more than 256 columns?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Access only allows 256 columns.
If you have more than that, then must likely your data table is not normalized, and you may have problems working on it in Access without normalizing it first anyway.
So why does it have so many columns?

If it is something where you have data for different weeks of the year, and you have a different column for each week, normalizing the data would change the structure so instead of have 1 record with 52 columns, you would have 52 records with 2 columns (one for week number, and the other for whatever you are tracking by week).

Upvote 0
Access only allows 256 columns.
If you have more than that, then must likely your data table is not normalized, and you may have problems working on it in Access without normalizing it first anyway.
So why does it have so many columns?

If it is something where you have data for different weeks of the year, and you have a different column for each week, normalizing the data would change the structure so instead of have 1 record with 52 columns, you would have 52 records with 2 columns (one for week number, and the other for whatever you are tracking by week).

I am an excel user and havent use access before. Our vendor had provided us data dump which we need to convert into meaningful database. Access could be a solution but i dont know how to use it. If you say i can provide you with sample data dump to test. Many Thanks

Upvote 0
Since you haven't worked with Access in the past, perhaps you need to understand data normalization. You may have a data dump, but that doesn't mean the data is normalized. You may have to manipulate the data to get it normalized for it to work in Access. Read the link below on Relational Databases and Data Normalization.

Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

Upvote 0
Since you haven't worked with Access in the past, perhaps you need to understand data normalization. You may have a data dump, but that doesn't mean the data is normalized. You may have to manipulate the data to get it normalized for it to work in Access. Read the link below on Relational Databases and Data Normalization.

Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

thank you for this link.. but since 2 days i have been studying the same thing.. tables.. relationships.. queries..

but the data dump i have is just not getting into shape to use with access... i would be vry thankful if anyone normalize the data for me.

Upvote 0
Regarding cross-posting, our policy is outlined in rule #10 here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/99490-forum-rules.html
In a nutshell, we allow it here, but just ask that you provide a link to the other post.

Regarding your question, Access may be the tool you want to use, but it sounds like your data may need to be cleaned up (normalized) a bit first before you can import it into Access.
When I am confronted with these type of situations, I first determine what the normalized data in Access should look like. Once I have figured that out, I go back to the sender and see if they can conform to that format. If not, you may need to use something else first (like an Excel macro) to get it in the format you need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back