My total doubles up

Blunder1

hi,

I new to access and an having trouble with joining muytliple tables... If i use the total and sum the two columns i need, it doubles the amount. I have run the query with no total and every row is doubled. I cant seem to see why this is happening and how to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Blunder

Code:
SELECT COS_MAP.[Market of Settlement - Short Name], Entity_Map.[Entity name (re-worked)], AsiaandDTCVolume.[Russ - Region] AS [Processing Center], Depot_Map.[Market Partner], Sum(AsiaandDTCVolume.[Good Trades BO]) AS [Settlement Volume], Sum(NonABCFails.[Russ - Fails No]) AS [Fail Number], AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm Depo Clearing Location ID], AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm's Nostro Clearing Location ID], Depot_Map.Country, Depot_Map.[Depot Name]
FROM (((AsiaandDTCVolume LEFT JOIN COS_MAP ON AsiaandDTCVolume.[Market of Settlement Code] = COS_MAP.[Market of Settlement Code]) LEFT JOIN Entity_Map ON AsiaandDTCVolume.[Entity Id (OPP)] = Entity_Map.[Entity ID]) LEFT JOIN NonABCFails ON (AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm's Nostro Clearing Location ID] = NonABCFails.[Firms Nostro Clearing Location Id]) AND (AsiaandDTCVolume.[Market of Settlement Code] = NonABCFails.[Market of Settlement Code]) AND (AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm Depo Clearing Location ID] = NonABCFails.[Firms Depot Clearing Location Id])) LEFT JOIN Depot_Map ON AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm Depo Clearing Location ID] = Depot_Map.Depot
GROUP BY COS_MAP.[Market of Settlement - Short Name], Entity_Map.[Entity name (re-worked)], AsiaandDTCVolume.[Russ - Region], Depot_Map.[Market Partner], AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm Depo Clearing Location ID], AsiaandDTCVolume.[Firm's Nostro Clearing Location ID], Depot_Map.Country, Depot_Map.[Depot Name];

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
It usually means one of two things:

1. You have not done a join correctly between two tables. Maybe a join requires more than one field to be joined to create a one-to-one match, and your forgot to include that.

2. You have a one-to-many or many-to-many between two of your tables, causing the duplication.

Without knowing how your tables are related and seeing your data, it is virtually impossible for us to analyze that for you. It looks like you are joining 5 tables.

Here is what I would recommend doing to try to figure this out. It looks like you are joining 5 tables.

- Start off joining your first two tables ONLY, and do not make it an Aggregate Query yet.
- Inspect your data. Do you see fields duplicated (especially the ones you are trying to total?)
- If not, add in another table and repeat the process until you find where things are being duplicated.

Once you find where it is being duplicated, you know that it is that last relationship between your tables that is the problem, and you know where to focus your attention on fixing it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back