Problem with Time intelligence in PowerPivot.

mrxlsx

Board Regular
Good afternoon everybody here,

For last 3 or 4 weeks, I have been looking intensely for a solution to my problem over internet. But badluck kicked my ***. I couldn't find any article addressing this issue.

I have few Excel tables...namely fSa*****ok, dStoreIDs, dCalendar, dFreightKeys, dProducts, dCustomers, dEmoluments etc.

Recently, I added a table dTime trying to do some intelligent calculations like in what time my sales are at peak in a particular hour of the day. But I am unable to establish the relationship with the Time column in my fSa*****ok to dTime table as PowerPivot says "Relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values, Select at least one column that contains only unique values".

In the dTime table I have unique times i.e. from 00:00:00 till 23:59:59 (86400 unique time values). But why couldn't I link this with the Time column in my fSa*****ok when I have unique values in my dTime table.

I think I clearly explained the problem, But if you need better picture, I can give only the dTime table at the max. I have no right to share the real data in any way. Ask more questions if you cannot understand anything here. Thanks a ton for all.

mrxlsx.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I'm loving the censoring :)

Anyway, you are lying to me. You do not have unique values. Find the dupes. Probably the easiest way is to drop them on a pivot table, then add a measure. =COUNTROWS(dTime) and drop it on the Pivottable, and find the > 1.

My bet? multiple blank().

Upvote 0
Scottsen, thank you for your effort,

As per my understanding, a day will be having 86,400 seconds and that is what I have in my dTime table as each cell ticks-up with a second starting from 00:00:00. Likewise, I have 86,400 values, I did not understand where is the question of duplication. But my fSa*****ok will be having many time duplicates as it is a fact table.

Anyway I followed what you mentioned above. I got exactly 86,400 values when I see the values as count. I can see all are =1, nothing >1.

Is that what you are suggesting me to do or something else?

mrxlsx.

Upvote 0
That is super weird. Are you able to share your workbook with me? (dropbox, or whatever?) I have never seen power pivot "lie" about having unique vs duplicate values when creating a relationship.

Upvote 0
I made an effort to figure out 4shared and gave up. Can you plz use OneDrive/GoogleDrive/DropBox/etc that is not an Ad-ridden fiasco? :)

Upvote 0
Perfect thanks.

I took your two tables, imported them into powerpivot, and connected the two time fields without issue. Are you doing something... different?!

Upvote 0
Scottsen,

I was eagerly waiting for your reply sitting with my desktop on a festival day here in India. I have no clue on why it is not allowing me to do? Even I have tried to do the same thing taking fresh Excel sheets.

Anyways, I will try to do it again and again and if I could not I will send you the entire dummy file for your perusal and I will explain what I want to do exactly and failing where. I will not be available for internet for the next 5 hrs from now so I will reply only after 5 hrs at least, so do not wait for me. Thank you so much for your effort.
mrxlsx.

Upvote 0
Happy Diwali, mrxlsx :)

On the dummy file you sent -- you can still reproduce the problem? Excel 2010? 2013? What version of PowerPivot?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back